Need help with Dirac Equation

In summary: In other words, the E>0 and E<0 cases come out of the algebra in an equivalent way, which is what we should expect physically. (You can verify that the LHS and RHS expressions are the same when you plug in ##E_p>0## or ##E_p<0##. Hint: the ##\gamma^0## matrix is ##\beta##, and ##\beta^2## is the identity matrix.)Can someone help me or point me in the right direction cause this is my first time learning this. Thanks a lot!You are on the right track! Keep studying and practicing, and don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification when needed. Good luck!
TimeRip496
I just started learning this so I am a bit lost. This is where I am lost http://www.nyu.edu/classes/tuckerman/quant.mech/lectures/lecture_7/node1.html .

Why when E>0, we use $$\phi_p=
\begin{pmatrix}
1 \\
0 \\
\end{pmatrix}
$$ or $$
\begin{pmatrix}
0 \\
1 \\
\end{pmatrix}
$$

while when E<0, we use this instead
$$x_p=
\begin{pmatrix}
1 \\
0 \\
\end{pmatrix}
$$ or $$
\begin{pmatrix}
0 \\
1 \\
\end{pmatrix}
$$
where ∅p is the upper component while xp is the lower component of the bispinor in Dirac equation.
Can we do it the other way round or
$$\phi_p=
\begin{pmatrix}
1 \\
0 \\
0 \\
0 \\
\end{pmatrix}
...$$ instead?Secondly, how did the author convert $$\phi_p = \frac{c \sigma .p}{E_p -mc^2}x_p=?=\frac{-c \sigma .p}{|E_p| +mc^2}x_p$$? Does the mod sign means anything?

Can someone help me or point me in the right direction cause this is my first time learning this. Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
TimeRip496 said:
Why when E>0, we use

$$\phi_p= \begin{pmatrix}

1 \\

0 \\

\end{pmatrix}
or
\begin{pmatrix}

0 \\

1 \\

\end{pmatrix}
$$
while when E<0, we use this instead
$$\chi_p=\begin{pmatrix}

1 \\

0 \\

\end{pmatrix}
or
\begin{pmatrix}

0 \\

1 \\

\end{pmatrix}
$$

where ∅p is the upper component while xp is the lower component of the bispinor in Dirac equation.

Can we do it the other way round ... ?

It's because of the ##\beta## matrix (as it's called in the notation you're using, from Dirac; see lesson 6). The top two rows are +1 (on the diagonal), the bottom two -1. The corresponding eigenvalues are pos and neg, obviously, when setting the momentum to zero, as shown in lesson 7. If you wrote the ##\beta## matrix "the other way round" then the E>0 and E<0 cases would also be switched, that is, ##\phi_p## and ##\chi_p## would play opposite roles. There are many other valid ways to write ##\beta## and ##\alpha## matrix (called "representations") all physically equivalent. BTW that second component is "chi" not "x".

TimeRip496 said:
or $$\phi_p=\begin{pmatrix}

1 \\

0 \\

0 \\

0 \\

\end{pmatrix}
...$$ instead?

In my answer above I assumed you meant, can we switch the roles of ##\phi_p## (E>0) and ##\chi_p## (E<0), and ignored this. For one thing ##\phi_p## is a 2-vector not 4 but even if you meant ##u_p## it still doesn't make sense, AFAIK.

TimeRip496 said:
Secondly, how did the author convert $$\phi_p = \frac{c \sigma .p}{E_p -mc^2}x_p=?=\frac{-c \sigma .p}{|E_p| +mc^2}x_p$$? Does the mod sign means anything?

The term ##|E_p|## is not a mod but an absolute value, since ##E_p## is just a real number. So you get the RHS simply by multiplying LHS numerator and denominator each by -1, remembering that ##E_p## is negative in this case.

Likes vanhees71

What is the Dirac Equation?

The Dirac Equation is a relativistic quantum mechanical wave equation that describes the behavior of fermions, such as electrons, in quantum mechanics. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac in 1928.

Why is the Dirac Equation important?

The Dirac Equation has played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and has led to significant insights into the behavior of particles and their interactions. It also helped pave the way for the development of quantum field theory.

What does the Dirac Equation predict?

The Dirac Equation predicts the spin and magnetic moment of particles, as well as their behavior in electric and magnetic fields. It also predicts the existence of antimatter, which was later confirmed by experiments.

What are the limitations of the Dirac Equation?

The Dirac Equation is a non-relativistic approximation and does not take into account the effects of quantum gravity. It also does not work for particles with zero rest mass, such as photons. Additionally, it does not fully describe the behavior of particles in strong interactions.

How is the Dirac Equation used in practical applications?

The Dirac Equation is used extensively in theoretical physics and has been applied in fields such as quantum field theory, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. It has also been used in the development of technologies such as transistors and MRI machines.