Need help with electric field questions thx

In summary, the student is seeking help with electric field problems and is currently working on two specific questions. The first question involves finding the linear charge density of a charged wire based on the orbit of a proton around it. The student has tried using circular kinematics but has not been successful. The second question involves showing the expected behavior of the electric field of a ring of charge when z<<R and z>>R. The student has attempted to use circular kinematics and is looking for more guidance.
ELHEK
need help with electric field questions thx:)

Hey everyone! I'm currently knew to the site, i found it searching for help on electric field problems n such. If anyone could help me that would be great! thanks again

1) A proton orbits a long chared wire, making 1.0x10^6 revolutions per second. The radius of the orbit is 1.0cm. What is the wire's linear charge density?

2) Show that the on axis electic field of a ring of charge has the expected behaviour when z<<R and when z>>R.

The answer to the first questions is -2.29nC/m, but I am clueless about how to go about it, I've also tried applying circular kinematics but have not been successful. The second question i am absolutly dumbfounded by. Thx again anyone who helps!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
ELHEK said:
1) A proton orbits a long chared wire, making 1.0x10^6 revolutions per second. The radius of the orbit is 1.0cm. What is the wire's linear charge density?

2) Show that the on axis electic field of a ring of charge has the expected behaviour when z<<R and when z>>R.

. . . I've also tried applying circular kinematics but have not been successful.
What has one tried with respect to circular kinematics?

When a charge moves in a circular trajectory, the centripetal force must balance the electric force, and the electric force must be 'attractive' if the moving charge moves around the source of the electric field. In the case of a line charge, the charge must be negative in order to be attractive to a positively charge proton.

F = q E = centripetal force. I leave this to the student to complete.

The second questions makes no sense. There has to be more to it, as in a description of the expected behavior.

This might help -
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/potlin.html

k thx, just checking I am on the right track, i found the force by F=(mv^2)r.
then by using E = F/q (q = 1.6x10^-19), but this is where I am stuck any more pointers please? thanks again

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds electrically charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within its range. It is represented by electric field lines, which show the direction of the force at any given point in the field.

2. How is an electric field calculated?

The electric field at a specific point is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a test charge by the magnitude of the charge. This can be represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the charge.

3. What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is affected by the magnitude of the charges involved, the distance between the charges, and the medium through which the charges are interacting. In a vacuum, the electric field is solely determined by the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them.

4. How does an electric field interact with charged particles?

An electric field exerts a force on charged particles within its range, causing them to move in a certain direction. If the charged particles are of opposite charges, they will be attracted to each other, while particles of the same charge will repel each other.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many practical applications, such as powering electronic devices, transmitting information through radio and television signals, and generating electricity through power plants. They also play a crucial role in medical technology, such as in MRI machines and defibrillators.