1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with epsilon delta proof of f(x)=x^4+(1/x) as x goes to 1

1. Sep 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the limit l for a given a and prove that it is the limit by showing how to find δ such that |f(x)-l|<ε for all x satisfying 0<|x-a|<δ.

f(x)=[itex]x^{4}+\frac{1}{x}[/itex], a=1.

2. Relevant equations
    I claim that [itex]\lim\limits_{x\rightarrow 1}x^{4}+\frac{1}{x}=2[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried things like solving for x but all my attempts were fruitless. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2012 #2
    $$
    |f(x) - L| = \left|x^4+\frac{1}{x} - 2\right| < \epsilon
    $$
    How can you make the above expression look like [itex]|x-1| < f(x)\epsilon[/itex]? Where f(x) is some expression.
    $$
    0<x-1<\delta
    $$

4. Sep 10, 2012 #3
    I thought I could factor it but I wasn't able to.

Can I say, let [itex]\delta_{1}=1[/itex]. Then [itex]|x-1|<1\Rightarrow-1<x-1<1\Rightarrow0<x<1[/itex]. Then [itex]0<x^{4}<16[/itex]. We then also have [itex]1/2<\frac{1}{x}[/itex].

That feels like it is a dead end not to mention that it doesn't look like itll become |x-1| anytime soon.

5. Sep 10, 2012 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

You need to use this definition :

[itex]\forallε>0, \existsδ>0 | 0 < |x-a| < δ \Rightarrow |f(x) - L| < ε[/itex]

You want to find a delta that will satisfy this definition. The trick with these sorts of problems is to massage |f(x)-L| until you are in the form |x-a| < δ.

[itex]|f(x) - L| = \left|x^4+\frac{1}{x} - 2\right| = |\frac{x^5-2x+1}{x}| = |x-1||x^4+x^3+x^2+x-1|\frac{1}{|x|}[/itex]

Now ask yourself... using the definition, what can you do to manipulate this expression into a suitable δ.

EDIT : Also the triangle inequality will be useful here : |a+b| ≤ |a| + |b|

6. Sep 10, 2012 #5
    Is there a certain way to factor out functions like that? I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to factor it...

7. Sep 10, 2012 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I cheated a bit since i know that the |x-a| factor is ALWAYS going to show up when you massage your |f(x)-L| expression. I used polynomial long division coupled with the factor & remainder theorems.

8. Sep 10, 2012 #7
    Looks like its time to brush up on long division.... Thanks a lot! I think I can take it from here.

9. Sep 10, 2012 #8
    Ok. Here is my attempt at the proof.

Proof: Suppose we are given ε>0. Then choose δ=min(1,[itex]\frac{2\epsilon}{31})[/itex].
    Thus we have
    [itex]
    \begin{align*}
    0<|x-1|<δ &\Rightarrow|x-a|<\frac{2\epsilon}{31}.
    \end{align*}
    [/itex]

Now we will set [itex]|x-1|<1\Rightarrow-1\leq x-1\leq 1\Rightarrow 0<x<2.[/itex] Note that [itex]|x-1|\leq|x|+|-1|=|x|+1[/itex]. Then since |x|<2, we have [itex]|x|+1<2+1=3.[/itex] Thus [itex]|x-1|<3[/itex]/
    Note that [itex]|x^{4}+x^{3}+x^{2}+x-1|\leq|x^{4}+x^{3}+x^{2}|+|x-1|<|x^{4}+x^{3}+x^{2}|+3\leq|x^{4}+x^{3}|+|x^{2}|+3.[/itex] Now since |x|<2, we have [itex]|x^{2}|<2^{2}=4[/itex] so [itex]|x^{4}+x^{3}|+|x^{2}|+3<|x^{4}+x^{3}|+4+3=|x^{4}+x^{3}|+7\leq|x^{4}|+|x^{3}|+7[/itex]. Now [itex]|x^{4}|<2^{4}=16[/itex] and [itex]|x^{3}|<2^{3}=8[/itex] so [itex]|x^{4}|+|x^{3}|+7<16+8+7=31[/itex]. Thus [itex]|x^{4}+x^{3}+x^{2}+x-1|<31[/itex].

Then it follows that
    [itex]
    \begin{align*}
    |x-a|<\frac{2\epsilon}{31} &\Rightarrow\frac{1}{|x|}|x-1||x^{4}+x^{3}+x^{2}+x-1|<\frac{2\cdot 31\cdot\epsilon}{2\cdot 31}\\
    &\Rightarrow \frac{1}{|x|}|x-1||x^{4}+x^{3}+x^{2}+x-1|<\epsilon\\
    &\Rightarrow \frac{|x-1||x^{4}+x^{3}+x^{2}+x-1|}{|x|}<\epsilon\\
    &\Rightarrow \frac{|x^{5}-2x+1|}{|x|}<\epsilon\\
    &\Rightarrow |x^{4}+\frac{1}{x}-2|<\epsilon.
    \end{align*}
    [/itex]
    This completes the proof.

How does this look?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook