Need Help with Formal Definition of Limits

In summary, the problem involves finding the limit a and determining N so that for any given value of epsilon, absolute value(a\underline{}n - a) < epsilon for all n>N. The specific problem being solved is a\underline{}n = 1/n, with epsilon = 0.01. After attempting to solve the problem, the correct value for N is determined to be 100, meaning that for any n>100, the absolute value of (1/n - 0) is less than 0.01.
chez_butt23

Homework Statement

Limit a[itex]\underline{}n[/itex] as n→∞ = a. Find the limit a, and Determine N so that absolute value(a[itex]\underline{}n[/itex] - a) < [itex]\epsilon[/itex] for all n>N for the given value of [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

The problem that I am working on is:

a[itex]\underline{}n[/itex] = 1/n , [itex]\epsilon[/itex] = 0.01

I'm sure this is very simple, as I am only two weeks into my university's basic calcuus class, but I am not nderstanding what to do. I have also tried going to tutoring and office hours, but my professor only confuses me more with his broken English.

Homework Equations

I am not sure what N is. I know that n is the nmber we are currently plugging in. I also know that a[itex]\underline{}n[/itex] is the whatever equation we are using (in this problem it is 1/n), and I know that [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is a margin above and below the limit.

The Attempt at a Solution

I saarted with the equation:
absolute value((a[itex]\underline{}n[/itex]) - a) <[itex]\epsilon[/itex]

I then plugged in numbers to get:
absolute value ((1/n)-0) < 0.01

After dropping the absolute value (because the limit is zero, and I think I am only solving for positive[itex]\epsilon[/itex]), and isolating n, I proceeded to get:
100 < n

I do not know what to do from here. I am not sure what n>N means or how to solve for it. Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
N is an unknown quantity that you have to find. Its value depends upon ε. Perhaps thinking of it this way will help: We're playing a game. I give you a specific value for ε. You have to give me back a value for N such that any time that n > N, then 1/n < ε. So, I give you ε = 0.01. You have to find an N such that whenever n > N, then 1/n < 0.01. What value of N would work? You've already done most of the work. You just have to put it together. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but because n > 100, and because n > N, we could set N = 100. This means that 1/n < 1/N → 1/n < 1/100 → 1/n < ε. Is that seriously the answer, because if so, I want to slap myself in the face right now.

Yes, that is seriously the answer- you may now slap!

Obviously, the limit is 0 so, essentially, you want |(1/n)- 0|< .01. Of course, 1/n- 0= 1/n and since n> 0 that is the same as 1/n< .01 so n> 100. Choose N to be any number greater than or equal to 100 and it follows that if n> 100, then 1/n= |1/n- 0|< 0.01.

FAQ: Need Help with Formal Definition of Limits

1. What is the formal definition of limits?

The formal definition of limits is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of a function as its input values approach a certain value. It states that the limit of a function f(x) as x approaches a value c is equal to a specific value L, if for any given epsilon greater than zero, there exists a delta greater than zero such that the absolute value of f(x) - L is less than epsilon whenever the absolute value of x - c is less than delta.

2. How is the formal definition of limits used in calculus?

The formal definition of limits is a foundational concept in calculus that is used to precisely define the concept of continuity, which is essential in understanding how functions behave at a particular point or as they approach a certain value. It is also used to prove important theorems such as the Intermediate Value Theorem and the Mean Value Theorem.

3. What is the importance of understanding limits in mathematics?

Understanding limits is crucial in mathematics because it allows us to describe and analyze the behavior of functions, which are fundamental building blocks in many areas of mathematics and science. It also provides the foundation for more advanced concepts such as derivatives and integrals, which are essential in fields like physics, engineering, and economics.

4. How can one determine the limit of a function using the formal definition?

To determine the limit of a function using the formal definition, one must first identify the value c that the input of the function is approaching. Then, they must choose a value L that they think the limit will approach. Next, they must choose a small positive number epsilon and find a corresponding value delta that satisfies the definition. If there exists such a delta, then the limit is equal to L. If not, then the limit does not exist.

5. What are some common mistakes when applying the formal definition of limits?

Some common mistakes when applying the formal definition of limits include not properly identifying the value c that the input of the function is approaching, choosing an incorrect value L for the limit, and not correctly choosing the values for epsilon and delta. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of the inequality signs and to understand the concept of one-sided limits when working with functions with discontinuities.