Need help with Maxwell magnetic simulation

In summary, the speaker is a student from Germany who has started their first project using ANSOFT Maxwell. They have read tutorials and have questions about simulating their problem. The problem involves two identical magnetic disks rotating in the same direction, with the y-axis as the axis of symmetry. They want to simulate the magnetic field induced between the disks. The speaker has questions about which physical model to use, how to assign magnetic properties to the rectangulars representing the disks, and how to assign speed and direction. They also mention their ultimate goal of simulating the magnetic effects on a steel band between the two moving magnetic fields. They clarify that they are not working on the Faraday Paradox and provide a more detailed explanation of their problem. They
shuhart
Hello, I am a student from Germany and I stared my first project using ANSOFT Maxwell.

I have read several tutorials and have a few questions how to simulate my problem. Hope I can find some help here.

First my problem:

I have two identical magnetic disks. These disks are so positioned that the y-axis is the symmetric axis of the problem.
Both disks are rotating with same speed and direction. I want to simulate the magnetic field induced from the disks, between the disks.
Now the questions:
1. The view to the problem is from above, so in the geometry you'll see not the disks, but two rectangulars. So, from the geomtry it is a 2D Problem, but which physical model should I use? Magnetic transient, right?

2. When I draw the rectangulars, which representing the disks, how can I assign the magnetic properties to this rectangulars?

3. How can I assign the speed and direction?

Thanks for viewing, and greetings from Germany.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you working on the Faraday Paradox? Not to clear what you are up to.

No, I am not working on Faraday Paradox.
In the end I want to simulate the magnetic effects on a steel band, that lies in between two moving magnetic fields.

Just today I managed to simulate the static magnetic field, from one permanent magnet.

Better explanation of the problem:

1. I have two permanent magnets. Let's say Magn1 and Magn2.
2. These magnets are positioned on the Y-Axis, the coordinates are: Magn1 (0mm, 6mm)
and Magn2 (0mm, 0mm).
3. The direction of the field is: Magn1 plus Y-Axis, Magn2 minus Y-axis.
(I know now how to simulate the steps 1-3)
4. (Now it is going to be complicated). Both Magnets 1 and 2 are moving in X direction, with same speed.
5. (these step is the end step). Between two magnets lies the steel band, and I want to know how the moving field interacts with the steel band.

Thank you for the reply.

It would seem possible to analyse the magnetic field (as if it were stationary) and the motion-induced electric field separately.

You mention the disks rotate, but in the second note you say they are moving. The results are different for linear motion and rotating motion.

Assuming rotating disks...

I do not know the orientation of the steel band, presumably it is a flat leaf bent round into a hoop. However, my first take on this is that the electric flux paths indicate no eddy currents (refer to Faraday Paradox) partly because the induced electric field (not that there is much, if any, given the geometry) is purely radial and constant in strength and direction. If so, only the magnetic field is involved, so the rotation of the magnets and associated induced electric field should not be significant.

Then the magnetic field would have little effect either, because the magnetic fields oppose each other so in the middle there is a balance point where the band sits.

As mentioned, linear moving magnets have a different solution because there will be eddy currents which create their own forces.

Is this where your own analysis leads?

pumila said:
It would seem possible to analyse the magnetic field (as if it were stationary) and the motion-induced electric field separately.

You mention the disks rotate, but in the second note you say they are moving. The results are different for linear motion and rotating motion.
Good idea. In the real experiment there are two (non magnetic) disks, with many magnets assigned on the boarders of the disks.
In the model, you are looking on the top of the disks, so you can see the line of magnets and the space between the disks. Here is the picture how I mean it:
http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=scratch3wr84.png

pumila said:
As mentioned, linear moving magnets have a different solution because there will be eddy currents which create their own forces.

Is this where your own analysis leads?
Yes.
And I know that the final solution will be in 3D, because it is not possible to simulate moving objects in 3D.

For symmetric rotating problems I usually analyse a radial section.

1. What is Maxwell magnetic simulation?

Maxwell magnetic simulation is a computational tool used to model and analyze electromagnetic fields and their interaction with materials. It is based on Maxwell's equations, which describe the fundamental laws of electromagnetics.

2. What can Maxwell magnetic simulation be used for?

Maxwell magnetic simulation can be used for a variety of purposes, including designing and optimizing electrical devices such as motors and transformers, studying the behavior of electromagnetic waves, and analyzing the performance of materials in various electromagnetic environments.

3. How does Maxwell magnetic simulation work?

Maxwell magnetic simulation uses numerical methods to solve Maxwell's equations in a finite space. This involves breaking down the problem into small elements and solving for the electromagnetic fields within each element, then combining the results to create a detailed simulation of the overall system.

4. What are the benefits of using Maxwell magnetic simulation?

Maxwell magnetic simulation allows for a more efficient and cost-effective design process by reducing the need for physical prototypes. It also provides a deeper understanding of the electromagnetic behavior of a system and allows for optimization of performance.

5. Are there any limitations to Maxwell magnetic simulation?

While Maxwell magnetic simulation is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It relies on accurate input parameters and assumptions, and the accuracy of the results depends on the complexity and accuracy of the model. Additionally, the simulation time can be lengthy for large and complex systems.