Need help with my bicycle computer project

In summary: If the mass is doubled, the rolling resistance will be doubled. If the mass is halved, the rolling resistance will be halved. If the mass is tripled, the rolling resistance will be tripled. There is no rolling resistance if the rider is not on the bike. In summary, the goal of this project is to calculate the rolling resistance over an uneven surface area, Watts/sec and Newton meters used for any given gear ratio, speed or angle, and rate Calories are being used up.
wmazz
I am trying to work out the physics used in a micro-controller project. I am having problems with even simple relationships, like F = ma. My answers end up with much larger numbers than, a man on a bicycle should be capable of. This is just a hobby for me, and I haven't taken a physics class before.

My Goals are:

(1) Calculate rolling resistance over an uneven surface area. My project does have a 2-axis accelerometer to determine the current angle.

(2) Calculate Watts/sec and Newton meters used for any given gear ratio, speed or angle.

(3) Calculate the rate Calories are being used up.

(4) (the easy part) Displaying and recording the data on a thumb drive.

I have used many dynamometers in the past, so I am trying to stick with what's familiar. I am basing my calculations off a SAE Paper #942478 by Kee and G.P. Blair, about Inertia Dynos and they use a go-kart as an example.

(no character map in Win 7)

The formulae for Engine torque is: Torque eng = (flywheel Inertia )(Engine speed in rad/sec)(ratio of flywheel speed to engine^2) + torque due to dyno bearing friction.

They use what looks similar Kinetic Energy formulae for linear speed to determine flywheel inertia required, to simulate a given load: The formulae for Engine torque is: Torque eng = (flywheel Inertia )(Engine speed in rad/sec)(ratio of flywheel speed to engine^2) = (Kart Mass)(Engine speed in rad/sec)(ratio of engine to flywheel speed ^2)(radius, wheels^2) = Torque in Nm or N?

It's this last formulae I am trying to use : Torque in Nm or N = (Bike and rider mass)(Pedal Crank speed in rad/sec)(gear ratio^2)(radius, wheels^2) + rolling resistance

Mass = 145kg
Pedal Speed = 37pi/45 rad/sec (1 revolution of the tire is = to 37pi/45 rad/sec of the pedals)
Gear Ratio = 44 : 18 (2.444 to 1) (This is gear ratio I use the most)
Radius = .350m
Rolling Resistance = ??
Pedal Crank Length = .175m

Calcs to (145kg) (37pi/45 rad/sec) (2.44^2) ( .350^2) = 274 kg-m or Nm or N, If Newton’s than 274N * .175m = 47.97Nm or Watt/seconds or 11.45 Calories

Seems to large and doesn't account for rolling resistance, or changes in acceleration or surface angle.

I would like to do this in baby steps. Also is there a link on this site that provides a character map and how to make a fine looking post?

Thank You

Bill M.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have never taken a physics class, but I will start Pre-Calculus this fall.

I was able to quantify my formulae by changing it to be similar to F=ma. Then comparing my results by converting them to HorsePower http://users.frii.com/katana/biketext.html" .

Mass = 145kg
Pedal Speed = 22pi/9 rad/sec
Gear Ratio = 44 : 18 (2.444 to 1) (This is gear ratio I use the most)
Pedal Crank Length = .175m
Front tire radius = .350m
Rolling Resistance (Rr) = ??

I was using, Watts = ma*gear-ratio*crank length = Kg-m^2/sec^2

And I would like to compute the extra watts required for a hill. Would this work?

s = 22pi/9 rad/sec*2.444*2*r*pi = distance traveled

So, s*sin(theta) = h

Then add h to my formulae, Watts = ma*gear-ratio*crank length*h

After testing I could add Rolling Resistance (Rr) to the formulae:

Watts = ma*gear-ratio*crank length*h + Rr

So is my addition of " s*sin(theta) = h" correct, and the idea that I can add Rolling resistance gatherd by testing to the equation ??

Thanks

this may be helpfull http://users.frii.com/katana/biketext.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
It's this last formulae I am trying to use : Torque in Nm or N = (Bike and rider mass)(Pedal Crank speed in rad/sec)(gear ratio^2)(radius, wheels^2) + rolling resistance
The bike+rider mass will have a say in the rolling resistance expression only.

What is a bicycle computer project?

A bicycle computer project is a project that involves creating a device that can be attached to a bicycle to track various data such as distance, speed, time, and sometimes even heart rate and cadence. This device is usually electronic and can be attached to the handlebars or frame of the bicycle.

What are the components needed for a bicycle computer project?

The components needed for a bicycle computer project may vary depending on the specific project and its goals. However, some common components include a microcontroller, sensor(s) for tracking data, a display screen, and a power source. Additional components may include buttons or switches for user input and other electronic components for data processing and storage.

What programming languages can be used for a bicycle computer project?

There are a variety of programming languages that can be used for a bicycle computer project, such as C, C++, Python, and Arduino. The programming language chosen will depend on the specific microcontroller being used and the developer's familiarity and preference.

How accurate are bicycle computers?

The accuracy of a bicycle computer can vary depending on the quality of the components used and the calibration of the sensors. Generally, a well-designed and properly calibrated bicycle computer can provide accurate data within a reasonable margin of error.

What are some potential challenges in a bicycle computer project?

Some potential challenges in a bicycle computer project may include selecting and sourcing the necessary components, programming and coding the device, calibrating and testing the sensors, and ensuring the device is securely and accurately attached to the bicycle. Additionally, weather and environmental factors may affect the performance and accuracy of the device.