1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with physics symbols in question

1. Aug 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm taking an online physics course and I do not understand what the symbols mean in the question.

The question is: Which of the following is a shorthand way of stating that "the temperature change of a substance is directly propertional to the quantity of heat added"?

A. Q ¡Ø m
    B. m ¡Ø Tf - Ti
    C. Q ¡Ø T
    D. Q = Tf - Ti

I know that Q means heat. I'm guessing that Tf is final temp and Ti is initial temp. I also know that m is for mass. However I have no idea what ¡Ø means.

2. Relevant equations

My text book does not use this ¡Ø symbol and I have searched online but I can't figure out what it is. Can anyone tell me what ¡Ø means?

3. The attempt at a solution

I think the answer is C and if I can't get any help here I'm going to choose that answer.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you mean: [itex]\propto[/itex] ?
    That symbol means: proportional to.

For example, instead of writing: "The formula for y is [itex]y = k x^2[/itex] with k some constant" physicists tend to say "y is proportional to the square of x", or "[itex]y \propto x^2[/itex]". They just do it to indicate the shape of the function, without going into details about precise (often numerical) prefactors and shifts.

For example, [itex]3 (x - a)^2 + 16 \pi[/itex] is also proportional to [itex]x^2[/itex].
  4. Aug 26, 2008 #3
    Yeah I am familiar with the proportional to symbol but on the work sheet it gives this ¡Ø
    It might be an error. In this case I think c makes the most sense. I think answer c means temp change is directly proportional to the quantity of heat added.
  5. Aug 26, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it really says that, it must be an error. Probably it was copy/pasted from another document and the proportionality symbol wasn't copied correctly.

Anyway, why did you discard B?
  6. Aug 26, 2008 #5
    The reason why I discarded B is because it has mass in the formula and it doesn't have the Q for heat.

BTW I really appreciate your help. Thanks :-)
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  7. Aug 26, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah, :rofl: I missed that. I just thought the Tf - Ti looked very tempting. But of course, proportionality to T also means proportionality to (T - T0) :smile:

You are most welcome.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?