Need help with Special Relativity: Force and Energy

So you should get something like:\frac{dp}{dt}=\gamma \frac{dm}{dt}v + m\gamma\frac{dv}{dt}Since mass is constant, \frac{dm}{dt}=0, so this simplifies to:\frac{dp}{dt}=m\gamma\frac{dv}{dt}But we also know that F=\frac{dp}{dt}, so we can substitute this into our original equation:\frac{dE}{dt} = FvAnd since we're trying to show that \frac{dE}{dt}=Fv, this is the equation we want. Just remember to be careful with the derivative of p. Keep up the good work!
unam1292

Homework Statement

I'm trying to show that

[tex]\frac{dE}{dT}[/tex]= F x V where F is force and V is velocity

Can someone please help me out?

Homework Equations

F=[tex]\frac{dP}{dT}[/tex]=M x V x [tex]\gamma[/tex]

All of the other equations from special relativity (contraction, dilation, energy) are probably important as well.

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I have no idea where to start. Can someone please point me in the right direction. I'm a high school junior and I have very little experience with relativity. I understand that I should show some work, but I truly don't have any but I have been trying for a while.

Please help me get started!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should know the formula for the relativistic energy E of an object. Try differentiating that with respect to time and see what you get.

The formulas for relativistic energy don't involve time (t) as far as I can tell.
I'm not sure how taking the derivative of that would help unless I'm
overlooking something.

It doesn't depend explicitly on time, but the energy depends on [itex]\gamma[/itex], which, in turn, depends on velocity, which does change with time.

gosh, now I'm even more stuck, thanks anyway.

so you meant that I should use [tex]\frac{x}{t}[/tex] instead of v?

well after doing that, and taking the derivative, I can see no way for it to manipulate in F x V.

No, I think that'll make it more complicated. Keep it in terms of just the velocity v.

Start with this first. You know that

[tex]\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-(v/c)^2}}[/tex]

What do you get if you differentiate it with respect to time, remembering that v is a function of time?

Last edited:
ok, this is what I have

[tex]\frac{dE}{dt}[/tex]=[tex]mc^{2}\frac{-\gamma^{3}v}{c^{2}}\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]= F x V

am I doing this correctly? when equate the equation above with F x V (where F = gamma*mass*acceleration*v)
i get that -[tex]\gamma^{3}=\gamma[/tex] so I get the feeling I messed up somewhere...

I really appreciate your help!

Last edited:
Hmm, not sure how you came up with that. Can you show more steps?

Sure,

So here's the derivative of gamma
[tex] \dot {\gamma} = \frac{d}{dt} \left( 1- \frac{v^2}{c^2} \right) ^{-1/2} = \left( \frac{-1}{2} \right) \left( \frac{-2v \dot {v} }{c^2} \right) \left( 1- \frac{v^2}{c^2} \right) ^{-3/2} = \gamma ^3 \left( \frac{v \dot {v}}{c^2} \right) [/tex]

hence
[tex]\frac{dE}{dt}=mc^{2}\frac{-\gamma^{3}v}{c^{2}}\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

because E = mc[tex]^{2}\gamma[/tex].

[tex]F\bulletV=m\gamma\frac{dv}{dt}v = \frac{dE}{dt}=mc^{2}\frac{\gamma^{3}v}{c^{2}}\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

and then I simplified this

Last edited:
You're getting there. You need to be a bit more careful when calculating F. You know that the momentum is given by [itex]p=\gamma mv[/itex]. When you differentiate it, you need to use the product rule.

FAQ: Need help with Special Relativity: Force and Energy

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory in physics that explains the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It was developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 and has become a fundamental principle in modern physics.

2. How does special relativity affect force and energy?

In special relativity, force and energy are considered to be two different aspects of the same concept. Force is seen as a change in energy over time, and energy is seen as the ability to do work. This means that in certain situations, energy can be converted into force and vice versa.

3. What is the role of the speed of light in special relativity?

The speed of light, denoted by the letter c, is a fundamental constant in special relativity. It is the maximum speed at which any object or information can travel in the universe. This speed is also used to define the relationship between space and time in the theory.

4. Can special relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, special relativity has been confirmed by numerous experiments and is used in many practical applications, such as GPS systems, nuclear power plants, and particle accelerators. However, its effects are only observable at high speeds or in extreme gravitational fields.

5. Is there a difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Yes, special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity. General relativity is a more complex and complete theory, but special relativity is still an important part of it.