Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need help with Special Relativity: Force and Energy

1. Jun 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to show that

[tex]\frac{dE}{dT}[/tex]= F x V where F is force and V is velocity

Can someone please help me out?

2. Relevant equations

F=[tex]\frac{dP}{dT}[/tex]=M x V x [tex]\gamma[/tex]

All of the other equations from special relativity (contraction, dilation, energy) are probably important as well.

3. The attempt at a solution

Honestly, I have no idea where to start. Can someone please point me in the right direction. I'm a high school junior and I have very little experience with relativity. I understand that I should show some work, but I truly don't have any but I have been trying for a while.

Please help me get started!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You should know the formula for the relativistic energy E of an object. Try differentiating that with respect to time and see what you get.

4. Jun 20, 2010 #3
    The formulas for relativistic energy don't involve time (t) as far as I can tell.
    I'm not sure how taking the derivative of that would help unless I'm
    overlooking something.

5. Jun 20, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It doesn't depend explicitly on time, but the energy depends on [itex]\gamma[/itex], which, in turn, depends on velocity, which does change with time.

6. Jun 20, 2010 #5
    gosh, now I'm even more stuck, thanks anyway.

so you meant that I should use [tex]\frac{x}{t}[/tex] instead of v?

well after doing that, and taking the derivative, I can see no way for it to manipulate in F x V.

7. Jun 20, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, I think that'll make it more complicated. Keep it in terms of just the velocity v.

Start with this first. You know that

[tex]\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-(v/c)^2}}[/tex]

What do you get if you differentiate it with respect to time, remembering that v is a function of time?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  8. Jun 20, 2010 #7
    ok, this is what I have

[tex]\frac{dE}{dt}[/tex]=[tex]mc^{2}\frac{-\gamma^{3}v}{c^{2}}\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]= F x V

am I doing this correctly? when equate the equation above with F x V (where F = gamma*mass*acceleration*v)
    i get that -[tex]\gamma^{3}=\gamma[/tex] so I get the feeling I messed up somewhere...

I really appreciate your help!

9. Jun 20, 2010 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Hmm, not sure how you came up with that. Can you show more steps?

10. Jun 20, 2010 #9
    Sure,

So here's the derivative of gamma
    [tex] \dot {\gamma} = \frac{d}{dt} \left( 1- \frac{v^2}{c^2} \right) ^{-1/2} = \left( \frac{-1}{2} \right) \left( \frac{-2v \dot {v} }{c^2} \right) \left( 1- \frac{v^2}{c^2} \right) ^{-3/2} = \gamma ^3 \left( \frac{v \dot {v}}{c^2} \right) [/tex]

hence
    [tex]\frac{dE}{dt}=mc^{2}\frac{-\gamma^{3}v}{c^{2}}\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

because E = mc[tex]^{2}\gamma[/tex].

[tex]F\bulletV=m\gamma\frac{dv}{dt}v = \frac{dE}{dt}=mc^{2}\frac{\gamma^{3}v}{c^{2}}\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

and then I simplified this

11. Jun 20, 2010 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're getting there. You need to be a bit more careful when calculating F. You know that the momentum is given by [itex]p=\gamma mv[/itex]. When you differentiate it, you need to use the product rule.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook