1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with truss problem

1. Apr 11, 2006 #1
    I need to find all the zero force members, and solve for the other members. I am at school right now but I can definantly tell AB and AC are zero force members. When I get home I will see what else I can come up with. Also I cannot remember how to get the angled trusses :grumpy: Also All 3 downward forces are 20 kips

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/BrockBlackZ/prob1.gif

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2006 #2
    By=22.11 and Iy=57.89... Since Bx=0 then I guess BD and DG are zero force members, How about GJ? Also sicne AC is zero is CE, EH, HK also zero? I also think FI is zero too. I know there are alot of zero force members in here just need some help finding them

4. Apr 11, 2006 #3
    Assuming pinned connections, the only obvious zero force members are ED, HK & KJ.

5. Apr 11, 2006 #4
    Since the lower right reaction is a roller, then FI will also be a zero force member. I would find your reactions and start at I.

6. Apr 11, 2006 #5
    Why would ab and ac not be zero focer membes?

7. Apr 11, 2006 #6
    Go back and read when the assumption for zero force members is valid. If that does not help then report back.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?