Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need help with truss problem

1. Apr 11, 2006 #1
    I need to find all the zero force members, and solve for the other members. I am at school right now but I can definantly tell AB and AC are zero force members. When I get home I will see what else I can come up with. Also I cannot remember how to get the angled trusses :grumpy: Also All 3 downward forces are 20 kips

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/BrockBlackZ/prob1.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2006 #2
    By=22.11 and Iy=57.89... Since Bx=0 then I guess BD and DG are zero force members, How about GJ? Also sicne AC is zero is CE, EH, HK also zero? I also think FI is zero too. I know there are alot of zero force members in here just need some help finding them

4. Apr 11, 2006 #3
    Assuming pinned connections, the only obvious zero force members are ED, HK & KJ.

5. Apr 11, 2006 #4
    Since the lower right reaction is a roller, then FI will also be a zero force member. I would find your reactions and start at I.

6. Apr 11, 2006 #5
    Why would ab and ac not be zero focer membes?

7. Apr 11, 2006 #6
    Go back and read when the assumption for zero force members is valid. If that does not help then report back.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook