Need help with vector calculue (i think thats wht it is)

• Thread starter leonne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the problem involves finding the potential of a charge moving in a circle of radius a at a constant speed w, with the circle in the xy plane and the charge located at (a,0) on the x axis at t=0. The formula needed to solve this is V=1/4πε(Qc/(rc-r•v)). The main challenge is finding the vector position r to the field point R. The solution involves using the formula r=√(z^2+a^2) and making a simple graph. It is recommended to search for videos on this topic for a better understanding.
leonne

Homework Statement

this is for a physics problem

so formula i need to solve V=1/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex] (Qc/(rc-r [tex]\bullet[/tex] v)
the particle Q moves in a circle of radius a at constant speed w circle is in xy plane at t=0 charge is at (a,0)on x axis. find potentail of charge in z axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i never really know how to find the r the vector position to field point R
I always put like r=(z2+r2) or something but don't know how they find it. For here they did
r= z z^- a(coswt x^ +sinwt y^) than they got
r2=z2 +a2
than they got to something similar to what i always guess r=(z+a)1/2
so how would i figure this out? What is this exactly called so i can maybe find some youtube videos
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
nvm i figured it out didnt have to go threw the r=z Z^... i just make a simple graph

What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the differentiation and integration of vector fields, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It is used to analyze and describe physical phenomena, such as motion and force.

What are some common applications of vector calculus?

Vector calculus has numerous applications in different fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Some examples include calculating velocities and accelerations in physics, determining the flow of fluids in engineering, and creating 3D animations in computer graphics.

What are the basic operations in vector calculus?

The basic operations in vector calculus include vector addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, dot product, and cross product. These operations are used to manipulate and combine vector quantities to solve various problems.

Can you give an example of a vector calculus problem?

Sure, one example of a vector calculus problem could be calculating the curl of a vector field, which represents the rotation of the field at a particular point. This calculation involves taking the partial derivatives of the vector field with respect to each coordinate and then combining them using the cross product.

What are some resources for learning vector calculus?

There are many resources available for learning vector calculus, including textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. Some popular textbooks include "Vector Calculus" by Marsden and Tromba, and "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by Stewart. Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare also offer free online courses on vector calculus.