Need help with wave motion quickly please

In summary, the conversation revolved around difficulties with chapter 6 of French's book on vibrations and waves. The first topic discussed was the condition of zero pressure change and maximum air movement at an open end of an air column vibration. The second topic was the smallest possible value of w for stationary vibrations of a stretched string driven by sources at each end. The final topic was how to deal with boundary conditions in different scenarios. The solution for the first topic was to use the standard wave equation and set the cosine function equal to 1 for maximum displacement. However, the second topic was still unclear and the speaker was unsure of the best approach.
mewmew
Well I am having some serious troubles with chapter 6 from French's book on vibrations and waves. Here are the things I am having trouble with.

1. Show that for a vibration of an air column an open end represents a condition of zero pressure change during oscillation and hence a place of maximum movement of the air.
I really have no clue how to even start this one. I can always choose my function in e[x,t]=f[x]Cos[wt] to be f[x] = A*Cos[wx/v] so that at x = 0 we have the max amplitude but that doesn't really hold for each end and doesn't really seem to do a good job.

2. A stretched string of mass m, length L, and tension T is driven by a source at each end, having the same frequency(f) and amplitude (A) but Pi radians out of phase, what is the smallest possible value of w consistent with stationary vibrations of the string?
This one I wanted to set up like a longer string with fixed ends and just have the driving forces be regular oscillations "inside" of the longer string. This doesn't seem like a good way of doing it am I think I should be able to solve it differently. The only other way I tried was to go about it like a normal problem and set my boundry conditions up as A*Sin[f] and A*Cos[f] but this got me stuck it seems. as I couldn't figure anything out after setting C*Sin(wx/v) equal of the above boundry conditions.

3.in accordance to the above how do I deal with the boundry condtions of waves fixed at say one end or no ends, or driven on both ends, it seems like their are tons of different boundry conditions and each have a different way of solving, but I am really having trouble figuring out how to go about this.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show that an open end experiences max displacement. Its going to be a non-standing wave with the standard wave equation, and max displacement is acheived such that cos(stuff) = 1.

I'm gone on hwo to do 2.

1. What is wave motion?

Wave motion refers to the transfer of energy through a medium without permanently displacing the medium itself. It is characterized by the periodic oscillation of particles in the medium, which creates disturbances that propagate through the medium.

2. How is wave motion different from particle motion?

Wave motion involves the transfer of energy through a medium, while particle motion involves the physical movement of particles. In wave motion, particles oscillate back and forth in a fixed position, while in particle motion, particles move from one location to another.

3. What factors affect the speed of wave motion?

The speed of wave motion is affected by the properties of the medium, such as density and elasticity, as well as the frequency and wavelength of the wave. In general, waves travel faster in denser and more elastic mediums, and higher frequency waves have a higher speed than lower frequency waves.

4. How can we calculate the speed of a wave?

The speed of a wave can be calculated by multiplying the frequency of the wave by its wavelength. This is known as the wave speed equation: speed = frequency x wavelength. The speed will be in units of meters per second (m/s) if frequency is measured in hertz (Hz) and wavelength is measured in meters (m).

5. What are some real-life examples of wave motion?

There are many examples of wave motion in everyday life, such as sound waves traveling through the air, ocean waves moving across the water, and light waves traveling through space. Other examples include earthquakes, radio waves, and the vibrations of musical instruments.