Solve (2-i)x + (-3+4i)y = -2+3i

• Thread starter BlackIP
  • Start date
If not, you have a lot of work to do and you better get at it.In summary, the individual is seeking help with math problems related to complex numbers, matrices, and equations. They have a final exam on January 15th and have struggled to attend lessons this year. The problems include finding a complex number and solving equations with complex numbers, finding the rank of matrices, and solving systems of equations. They are seeking assistance but it is advised that they should try to solve the problems themselves in order to learn the material.
BlackIP
Hi..
i hope i won't be boring but ...
i had some probs this year and i couldn't go to lessions,, so now I'm having a lot of troubles with math...
At 15 january i have my final exam so i had to learn almost 4 book to pass it...
I hope that u will help me to solve some math probs...
(Sorry for my bad english)
(when i underline a number or something.. i mean that it is conjugated)
Here are some of them:

1). we have the complex number z = 1 + 2i. We have to find the complex number
w the way that finally we will have these :

Re{w/z} = 2 and Im{z*w} = 2

2). Solve the equation:

(2-i)x + (-3+4i)y = -2+3i

3). Here we have to do With Matrix(matrices)...
hope u'll understand the way i wrote them...

We have to find x, y ,u and v so we will have:

/ x-----y+1 \----/ 3 --- x-2 \ -- / y ---- 0 \ -- / 7 --- -3 \
l----------- l - 2 l ---------- l = l ---------- l - l ---------- l
\ 0-----u+4 /----\ u --- v+2 / -- \ -v ---- 2 / - \ 4 ----- 9 /

4). Depending to a parameter, find the matrices rank:

----/ 1 1 1 1 \
A = l 2 a -1 1 l
----\ a 4 0 2 /

----/ 1 7 17 3 \
----l 2 2 a 3 l
B = l 3 1 1 a l
----\ 0 a 10 1 /

----/ 1 -2 3 2 a \
C = l 2 -a 5 -1 7 l
----\ 1 -2 1 -8 2 /
you'll help me a lot if u solve me the probs...

Bye...

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
BlackIP said:
Hi..
i hope i won't be boring but ...
i had some probs this year and i couldn't go to lessions,, so now I'm having a lot of troubles with math...
At 15 january i have my final exam so i had to learn almost 4 book to pass it...
You have to learn "almost 4 books" now? When did you learn you would have to pass a final exam?

I hope that u will help me to solve some math probs...
(Sorry for my bad english)
(when i underline a number or something.. i mean that it is conjugated)
Here are some of them:

1). we have the complex number z = 1 + 2i. We have to find the complex number
w the way that finally we will have these :

Re{w/z} = 2 and Im{z*w} = 2
Your English is excellent. I am just concerned that you don't seem to have even tried!
If z= 1+ 2i and w= x+ iy, then [itex]\overline{z}= 1- 2i[/itex] and [itex]\overline{w}= x- iy[/itex]. So [itex]w/\overline{z}= (x+ iy)/(1- 2i)= (x+iy)(1+2i)/((1-2i)(1+2i)= (x-y)/5+ (2x+1)i/5[/itex]. Set the real part of that equal to 2. That gives you one equation for x and y. Do the same with [itex]Im(z\overline{w})= 2[/itex] to get a second equation.

2). Solve the equation:

(2-i)x + (-3+4i)y = -2+3i
All right, what have you DONE? Are we to assume that x and y are real numbers? If not there are an infinite number of solutions. You certainly should know that (2- i)x= 2x- ix and (-3+ 4i)y= -3y+ 4yi. That is exactly the same as (2x-3y)+ (-x+ 4y)i= -2+ 3i. If x and y are real numbers, then 2x- 3y= -2 and -x+ 4y= 3.

3). Here we have to do With Matrix(matrices)...
hope u'll understand the way i wrote them...

We have to find x, y ,u and v so we will have:

/ x-----y+1 \----/ 3 --- x-2 \ -- / y ---- 0 \ -- / 7 --- -3 \
l----------- l - 2 l ---------- l = l ---------- l - l ---------- l
\ 0-----u+4 /----\ u --- v+2 / -- \ -v ---- 2 / - \ 4 ----- 9 /
Do it! Go ahead and multiply the the matrices on each side and set corresponding terms equal. That will give you 4 equations for x, y, u, and v.

4). Depending to a parameter, find the matrices rank:

----/ 1 1 1 1 \
A = l 2 a -1 1 l
----\ a 4 0 2 /

----/ 1 7 17 3 \
----l 2 2 a 3 l
B = l 3 1 1 a l
----\ 0 a 10 1 /

----/ 1 -2 3 2 a \
C = l 2 -a 5 -1 7 l
----\ 1 -2 1 -8 2 /
you'll help me a lot if u solve me the probs...

Bye...
No, it would not help you one bit for someone else to solve the problems! YOU need to learn to solve them and, all kidding aside, by the time you are taking the final exam, you should already have seen many examples, as well as having solved many of them before. What is the DEFINITION of "rank of a matrix"? Do you know how to find the rank of a matrix by "row reducing" it? Do you know how to "row reduce" a matrix?

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear that you have been having difficulties with math this year. It can definitely be overwhelming to have to learn four books in a short amount of time, but I am sure with some practice and determination, you can do well on your final exam. I will do my best to explain the solutions to the problems you have provided. However, I encourage you to also seek help from your teacher or a tutor if you need further clarification.

1) To find the complex number w, we need to use the properties of conjugates. The conjugate of z = 1 + 2i is z̅ = 1 - 2i. So, w = z̅ + 1 = 1 - 2i + 1 = 2 - 2i.
To check if this satisfies the given conditions, we can use the fact that Re(z) = (z + z̅)/2 and Im(z) = (z - z̅)/2i.
So, Re(w/z) = (w/z + w̅/z̅)/2 = (2-2i)/(1+2i) = 2.
And Im(z*w) = (z*w - z̅*w̅)/2i = (2-2i)(1+2i)/2i = 2.
Hence, w = 2 - 2i satisfies the given conditions.

2) To solve the equation, we need to use the properties of complex numbers. First, we need to get the coefficients of x and y in the form of a + bi.
So, (2-i)x + (-3+4i)y = -2+3i can be rewritten as 2x - ix - 3y + 4iy = -2 + 3i.
Now, we can equate the real and imaginary parts of both sides to get two equations:
2x - 3y = -2 and -x + 4y = 3.
Solving these equations, we get x = 1 and y = 1.
Hence, the solution to the equation is x = 1 and y = 1.

3) I am not sure what the question is asking for here. Is there any additional information or context provided?

4) To find the rank of a matrix, we need

What is the solution to the equation (2-i)x + (-3+4i)y = -2+3i?

The solution to this equation is not a single number, but rather an infinite number of solutions in the form of ordered pairs (x,y) that satisfy the equation. This is because there are two unknown variables, x and y, and only one equation.

How do I solve this equation?

To solve this equation, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination. First, rearrange the equation to isolate one of the variables (x or y) on one side of the equation. Then, substitute that value into the other equation and solve for the remaining variable. Finally, plug in the values for x and y into the original equation to check your solution.

What is the meaning of the complex numbers (2-i) and (-3+4i)?

The complex numbers in this equation represent the coefficients of the variables x and y. The first complex number, (2-i), has a real part of 2 and an imaginary part of -1. The second complex number, (-3+4i), has a real part of -3 and an imaginary part of 4. These coefficients affect the slope and intercept of the line represented by the equation.

Can this equation be solved using graphing methods?

Yes, this equation can be graphed in the complex plane. Each complex number in the equation represents a point on the plane, with the real part being the x-coordinate and the imaginary part being the y-coordinate. The solutions to the equation will be the points where the two lines represented by the equation intersect on the graph.

What are the applications of solving equations with complex numbers?

Complex numbers have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are used to model and solve various real-world problems, including electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and financial analysis. Solving equations with complex numbers allows us to find solutions to these problems that cannot be expressed with real numbers alone.