Need hint regarding Euler's constant question

• Thread starter librastar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that Euler's constant, denoted by \gamma, is between 0 and 1. The homework equations state that \gamma can be expressed as the limit of ((1+1/2+...+1/n) - log n) as n approaches infinity. The attempt at a solution involves proving by contradiction, first assuming \gamma is equal to 0 and then less than 0, but both attempts are unsuccessful due to the divergent nature of the harmonic series and log function. The conversation suggests using the squeeze theorem and Riemann sums to prove the positivity and less than 1 of \gamma.
librastar

Homework Statement

Show that Euler's constant is 0 < [tex]\gamma[/tex] < 1

Homework Equations

According to my book, [tex]\gamma[/tex] = lim((1+1/2+...+1/n) - log n) as n approaches infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

At first glance I was thinking about proving by contradiction.

First I assume [tex]\gamma[/tex] is equal to 0.

Then I will get lim(1+1/2+...+1/n) = lim (log n) as n approaches infinity.

However 1+1/2+...+1/n is a harmonic series which diverges, so the equality does not hold.

So [tex]\gamma[/tex] does not equal 0.

Next I assume [tex]\gamma[/tex] is less than 0.

Since log function never yields negative result, this implies that lim(1+1/2+...+1/n) < lim(log n) as n approaches infinity.

Again due to the divergent nature of harmonic series, the inequality does not hold.

These are all I have for now.

=================================

I feel I have logic error in the attempt to solve the problem, and I hope that someone will give me a hint on the correct solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind that

[tex]\lim_{x\to a} [f(x)-g(x)]=\lim_{x\to a}f(x)-\lim_{x\to a}g(x)[/tex]

Is only true if both the limits on the RHS exist.

I haven't tried the problem yet, but you might consider using the squeeze theorem.

For proving the positivity of [tex]\gamma[/tex] you should think about Riemann sums

just to add to you first post, log(n) also diverges, so the harmonic argument doesn't quite hold

Office_Shredder said:
For proving the positivity of [tex]\gamma[/tex] you should think about Riemann sums

Same for showing it is less than 1. Very simple and nice when you see the idea.

1. What is Euler's constant?

Euler's constant, also known as the Euler-Mascheroni constant, is a mathematical constant that is approximately equal to 0.5772156649. It is denoted by the symbol γ and is named after the mathematician Leonhard Euler.

2. Why is Euler's constant important?

Euler's constant is important in many areas of mathematics, including number theory, calculus, and statistics. It appears in various mathematical formulas and has applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

3. How is Euler's constant calculated?

Euler's constant is defined as the difference between the harmonic series and the natural logarithm of n. It can also be calculated using various infinite series or continued fractions.

4. What are some real-world applications of Euler's constant?

Euler's constant has various applications in real-world problems, such as in the calculation of compound interest, the analysis of data in statistics, and in the study of prime numbers and their distribution.

5. Are there any unsolved problems related to Euler's constant?

Yes, there are still some unsolved problems related to Euler's constant, such as the irrationality and transcendence of the constant and its relationship with other mathematical constants.