1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta G and equalibrium constant question

1. Oct 31, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The equation and data to which the question refers is in the attachment. I am just trying to do part (a) of the question at the moment:

Calculate ΔG and K, the equilibrium constant, for this reaction at 298 K.

2. Relevant equations
    I would have thought that I would need to use the equation ΔG=-RTln K, but I am unsure how to find K, the equilibrium constant, because I am not given the amounts of the reactants or products.

3. The attempt at a solution

Perhaps there is a way to solve the problem using an equation I am not aware of? And I am not sure how to use the data given to solve the problem, if in fact it is needed for question (a) I have no idea.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2013 #2
    How is the standard free energy of formation of a species related to its standard enthalpy of formation, standard entropy of formation, and standard temperature 298? If you know the free energy of formation of each reactant and each product, how do you calculate the standard free energy change for the reaction?

If you can't answer these two questions, you need to go back to your textbook and find out.

Chet

4. Oct 31, 2013 #3
    Thanks, that gave me the direction I needed to go in.

I believe that I use the equation:
    [tex] \Delta _{f}G^{o}=\Delta _{r}H^{o} - T\Delta _{r}S^{o} [/tex]

and take the reactant values from the product? ie:

[tex] \Delta _{r}G^{o}=\Delta _{f}G^{o}(CuO)-(\Delta _{f}G^{o}(Cu)+\frac{1}{2}\Delta _{f}G^{o}(\frac{1}{2}O_{2})) [/tex]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  5. Nov 1, 2013 #4
    You have the right idea. Just one thing: lose the Δ's in your first equation, and, on the right hand side of your second equation.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted