Delta G and equalibrium constant question

In summary: Yes, I did that. Thanks for pointing that out. In summary, the equation and data to which the question refers is in the attachment. I am just trying to do part (a) of the question at the moment:-Calculate ΔG and K, the equilibrium constant, for this reaction at 298 K.
paulnz

Homework Statement

The equation and data to which the question refers is in the attachment. I am just trying to do part (a) of the question at the moment:

Calculate ΔG and K, the equilibrium constant, for this reaction at 298 K.

Homework Equations

I would have thought that I would need to use the equation ΔG=-RTln K, but I am unsure how to find K, the equilibrium constant, because I am not given the amounts of the reactants or products.

The Attempt at a Solution

Perhaps there is a way to solve the problem using an equation I am not aware of? And I am not sure how to use the data given to solve the problem, if in fact it is needed for question (a) I have no idea.

Attachments

• delta g and constant.jpg
    delta g and constant.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
How is the standard free energy of formation of a species related to its standard enthalpy of formation, standard entropy of formation, and standard temperature 298? If you know the free energy of formation of each reactant and each product, how do you calculate the standard free energy change for the reaction?

If you can't answer these two questions, you need to go back to your textbook and find out.

Chet

Thanks, that gave me the direction I needed to go in.

I believe that I use the equation:
[tex] \Delta _{f}G^{o}=\Delta _{r}H^{o} - T\Delta _{r}S^{o} [/tex]

and take the reactant values from the product? ie:

[tex] \Delta _{r}G^{o}=\Delta _{f}G^{o}(CuO)-(\Delta _{f}G^{o}(Cu)+\frac{1}{2}\Delta _{f}G^{o}(\frac{1}{2}O_{2})) [/tex]

Last edited:
paulnz said:
Thanks, that gave me the direction I needed to go in.

I believe that I use the equation:
[tex] \Delta _{f}G^{o}=\Delta _{r}H^{o} - T\Delta _{r}S^{o} [/tex]

and take the reactant values from the product? ie:

[tex] \Delta _{r}G^{o}=\Delta _{f}G^{o}(CuO)-(\Delta _{f}G^{o}(Cu)+\frac{1}{2}\Delta _{f}G^{o}(\frac{1}{2}O_{2})) [/tex]

You have the right idea. Just one thing: lose the Δ's in your first equation, and, on the right hand side of your second equation.

Chet

To calculate ΔG and K for this reaction at 298 K, you will indeed need to use the equation ΔG = -RTlnK. However, as you mentioned, you do not have the exact amounts of reactants and products, so you cannot calculate K directly. In this case, you can use the data given to you to determine K indirectly.

First, you can use the equation ΔG = ΔG° + RTlnQ, where Q is the reaction quotient. Since the reaction is at equilibrium, Q = K, and ΔG = 0. You can then rearrange the equation to solve for K:

K = e^(-ΔG°/RT)

Next, you will need to use the data given to calculate ΔG°. Since this is a standard state, you can use the standard enthalpy and entropy values for each component to calculate ΔG° using the equation ΔG° = ΔH° - TΔS°. Once you have calculated ΔG°, you can plug it into the equation above to solve for K.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need further clarification or assistance.

What is Delta G?

Delta G (ΔG) is the symbol used to represent the change in Gibbs free energy, a thermodynamic property that measures the amount of energy available to do work in a system at constant temperature and pressure.

How is Delta G related to equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant (K) is a measure of the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium in a chemical reaction. Delta G is related to K through the equation ΔG = -RTlnK, where R is the gas constant and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

What does a positive or negative value of Delta G indicate?

A negative value of Delta G indicates that the reaction is spontaneous and will proceed in the forward direction. A positive value of Delta G indicates that the reaction is non-spontaneous and will not proceed in the forward direction without an input of energy.

How does temperature affect Delta G and equilibrium constant?

The value of Delta G and equilibrium constant are both affected by temperature. An increase in temperature will lead to a decrease in Delta G and an increase in K for an endothermic reaction, and the opposite for an exothermic reaction. This is because temperature affects the enthalpy term in the equations for Delta G and K.

Can Delta G and equilibrium constant be used to predict the direction of a reaction?

Yes, the sign of Delta G and the value of equilibrium constant can be used to predict the direction of a reaction. A negative value of Delta G and a large value of K indicate that the reaction will proceed in the forward direction, while a positive value of Delta G and a small value of K indicate that the reaction will proceed in the reverse direction.