Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need ideas for final semester project

1. Feb 24, 2007 #1
    Its me again.
    I need recommendations for a motor and power supply to make a cordless grass trimer that uses battery..anyone?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2007 #2
    What do you want to do with grass trimer? Are you looking for specific power outputs, effeciency, materials in construction, etc?

4. Feb 24, 2007 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'd start by reverse-engineering an electric grass trimmer and seeing what kind of motor/how much power it uses. Then I'd look into existing cordless power tools and see if their capabilities come close to what you are looking for.

5. Feb 27, 2007 #4
    Ok i have problems finding what components and parts...Can anyone give me an exact motor and battery specification for a cordless grass trimmer?
    :cool:

6. May 26, 2007 #5
    A grass trimmer is a pretty simple device. You just need a battery connected to a fast spinning motor. The motor head has a piece of plastic string (I dont know the official name) that spins very fast and trims the grass. To keep it simple, you might want to use a deep cycle lead acid battery hooked up to a motor which accepts 12 volt input. Charging the lead acid is very simple, you can get a specialty charger, or build your own 13.8 volt power supply

7. May 26, 2007 #6

Danger

Gold Member

It can't just be a fast-spinning motor; you have to have some serious torque behind it as well. Otherwise, it will just stall out. If you have to make it from some other appliance/tool, I'd recommend a router.

8. May 31, 2007 #7
    I imagine that a cordless drill would work for a motor and battery system. The drill would have to be altered to remove the gearing, but it would probably have a rheostat to allow variable speed and the battery and charger already paired to the motor.

They are fairly cheap now also, only about $20.00.

Here is a site showing a reverse engineered corded drill, you can see the gearing:

Corded Drill

9. May 31, 2007 #8
    Here are the specs for a Black and Decker Cordless grass trimmer:

And here are the specs for a cordless drill:

The drill speed is after the gearing, so I imagine much higher rpms could be achieved without the gears, not sure what the ratios are.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?