Solving IVP for Second-Order Differential Equation: x^2*y+4*x*y'+4*y=0

• Thread starter BobMarly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ivp
In summary, the solution to the Cauchy-Euler equation (x^2)*y"+4*x*y'+4*y=0 is y=x^-3/2(C1cos(7ln(x)/2)+C2sin(7ln(x)/2)). To verify this solution, plug it into the original differential equation and see if it satisfies it. Then, use the initial conditions to solve for the constants C1 and C2.
BobMarly
Not sure of solution for IVP

Homework Statement

(x^2)*y"+4*x*y'+4*y=0
y(1)=1 y'(1)=2

Homework Equations

Start with r(r-1)+4r+4=0
then (r^2)+3r+4=0
get (-3+/-7i)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Leads to y=C(1)e^(-3t/2)cos(7t/2)+C(2)e^(-3t/2)sin(7t/2)
More y'=... one large formula
Am I on the correct track, is there something I missed, or is there a shortcut here
it seems that by putting in IV's, it doesn't lead to anything clean

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

BobMarly said:

Homework Statement

(x^2)*y"+4*x*y'+4*y=0
y(1)=1 y'(1)=2

Homework Equations

Start with r(r-1)+4r+4=0
then (r^2)+3r+4=0
get (-3+/-7i)/2

First off, does this function satisfy your differential equation? If so, you have the right general solution.

Next evaluate your solution and y'(t) at 1 and solve for the two constants. The check there is verifying that y(1) = 1 and y'(1) = 2.

At this stage in your learning, you should get in the habit of verifying that solutions you find are actually solutions. You've already done all the hard work, so checking your work is simply a matter of 1) showing that your solution satisfies the DE, and 2) that your solution and its derivative satisfies the initial conditions.
BobMarly said:
Am I on the correct track, is there something I missed, or is there a shortcut here

How do I know it satisfies the equation?

BobMarly said:

Homework Statement

(x^2)*y"+4*x*y'+4*y=0
y(1)=1 y'(1)=2

Homework Equations

Start with r(r-1)+4r+4=0
then (r^2)+3r+4=0
get (-3+/-7i)/2

No it doesn't.

You are confusing the characteristic equation for constant coefficient DE's with this problem. The "solution" you propose is what you would get for those roots of r if this were a constant coefficient equation. But it isn't. This is an Euler equation and you get that indicial equation by looking for a solution ##y = x^r##. Look in your text for the form the solution takes for complex conjugate roots. It will have x's times cosines and sines of ln x's.

In fact, the reason the "Cauchy-Euler" equation is as simple as the equation with constant coefficients (and easily confused with it) is that the substitution [itex]t= e^x[/itex] converts the Cauchy-Euler equation [itex]Ax^2d^2y/dx^2+ Bx dy/dx+ Cy= 0[/itex] into the 'constant coefficients' equation [itex]Ad^2y/dt^2+ (B- A)dy/dt+ Cy= 0.
The two have the same characteristic equation. In your case the constant-coefficients solution is
[tex]e^{-3t/2}(C_1cos(7t/2)+ C_2sin(7t/2))[/tex]
so that the solution to the original CauchyEuler equation is
[tex]e^{-3(ln(x))/2}(C_1cos(7ln(x)/3)+ C_2 sin(7ln(x)/3))= x^{-3/2}(C_1cos(7ln(x)/2)+ C_2sin(7ln(x)/2))[/tex]

1. What is an IVP?

An IVP stands for Initial Value Problem, which is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given differential equation and initial conditions.

2. What are some common methods for solving IVPs?

Some common methods for solving IVPs include the Euler method, the Runge-Kutta method, and the shooting method. These methods involve using numerical techniques to approximate the solution to the problem.

3. What are the applications of IVPs in science?

IVPs have various applications in science, including in physics, engineering, and biology. They are commonly used to model physical systems and make predictions about their behavior over time.

4. What are the challenges when solving IVPs?

One of the main challenges when solving IVPs is finding an accurate and efficient method that can handle complex equations and initial conditions. Another challenge is ensuring the solution is stable and does not produce errors or oscillations.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of the solution to an IVP?

To ensure the accuracy of the solution to an IVP, it is important to carefully choose the numerical method and step size used for the problem. It is also helpful to check the solution against known values or use multiple methods to compare results.