Need some book recommendations for EE and Information Theory

In summary, the individual is seeking a formal and factual introduction to electronics and electrical technologies and information theory. They prefer a recent book, with minimal technical language due to their limited knowledge in calculus and linear algebra. They are also interested in understanding contemporary technological challenges such as artificial intelligence. Some recommended books include An Introduction to Information Theory by John Robinson Pierce, The Information: A History, A Theory, A Flood by James Gleick, and A Mathematical Theory of Communication by Claude Shannon. The individual is advised to also explore older material on the subject and to develop the ability to identify and research evaluative judgments.
animboy
Hello All,

I have not yet entered undergrad EE. I am in a mid year break and need a intro level book. It should be formal and factual and where necessary technical, but at the same time it should outline:

- historical development of electronics and electrical technologies
- historical development of information theory
- Motives and applications of these developments

It should also be recent, more than 2000 atleast. It should give me the basic tools to understand current approaches employed by researchers on contemporary technological challenges such as artificial intelligence. Not in great detail but atleast in a rudimentary way (although arguably, that wouldn't really be called an "understanding" at all).

I haven't yet done calculus 2 or linear algebra so it shouldn't get too technical. You can also quote multiple books if one book doesn't cover all this.

Also it shouldn't contain evaluative judgments such as "this" or "that" is/was "good" or "bad" for the development of "such" and "such". I want the facts/theory, not their respective interpretations.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't anything brilliant which does all of those things singularly. It sounds like you're trying to find something far too specific on an awfully large category of topics, particularly given your level of knowledge.

You might try starting with some of the following:
John Robinson Pierce's An Introduction to Information Theory: Symbols, Signals and Noise
James Gleick's The Information: A History, A Theory, A Flood
Claude Shannon's original 1939 masterpiece which started it all: A [or for reprints thereafter, The] Mathematical Theory of Communication, which you should incidentally be able to find online for free. If you can find the published University of Illinois book which also contains Warren Weaver's introductory material, all the better.

None of them require much mathematical maturity, except possibly the last which really isn't too difficult if you stick with it. These should give you a firm foundation upon which you can continue to build in the future, should your interests allow. I'd also highly recommend not skipping the "older" material relating to this subject which holds up incredibly well, otherwise I guarantee you'll kick yourself later and wish you had read them first. Incidentally Shannon's original 1939 paper is literally one of the most widely read and influential documents in all of human history.

In general, unless you're reading books on pure theory or mathematics, you'll be hard pressed to find material which doesn't contain "evaluative judgments." I suggest instead you focus on obtaining a sound education which will allow you to spot them when they occur and then research them to either validate or falsify them for yourself -- particularly when reading books which contain history.

What is EE and Information Theory?

EE (Electrical Engineering) and Information Theory is a field of study that focuses on the principles and applications of information processing, communication, and storage. It involves the use of mathematical models and algorithms to analyze and design systems for information transmission and processing.

Why do I need book recommendations for this subject?

EE and Information Theory is a complex and constantly evolving field, so it is important to stay updated on the latest research and techniques. Books can provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamentals and practical applications of this subject, making them an essential resource for anyone studying or working in this field.

What are some good books for beginners?

For beginners, "Introduction to Information Theory" by David J.C. MacKay and "Principles of Communication Engineering" by John M. Wozencraft and Irwin Mark Jacobs are highly recommended. These books cover the basics of EE and Information Theory in a clear and easy-to-understand manner.

Are there any advanced books for those with more experience?

Yes, there are several advanced books that delve deeper into specific topics within EE and Information Theory. Some popular options include "Digital Communications" by John Proakis and Masoud Salehi, "Information Theory, Inference, and Learning Algorithms" by David J.C. MacKay, and "Coding and Information Theory" by Richard W. Hamming.

Can you recommend any online resources for further learning?

Yes, there are many online resources available for those interested in EE and Information Theory. Some popular websites include IEEE Xplore, ResearchGate, and arXiv. Additionally, many universities offer free online courses on this subject, such as MIT's OpenCourseWare and Stanford's EE and Information Theory courses on Coursera.