Need Some Guidance (AMC Reccomendations)

• Other
  • Thread starter Jamesix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Guidance
In summary, the person is a junior in high school and is interested in advanced math, particularly the AMC 12 competition. They are wondering if they should take the test and if they need to know calculus for it. They also ask for advice on how to prepare, specifically mentioning two textbooks and their concerns about being gifted in math. Someone responds saying that calculus is not needed for the AMC 12 and suggests using past exams to prepare. They also wish the person good luck and ask for further suggestions. The original person reiterates their concerns and asks for more help.
Jamesix
I am a junior... The year that many of my teachers consider " the most important year of high school". I am honestly starting to wonder about my future past college and I would like some advice on how I should prepare. I love math and that is the truth, I have always excelled at math all the way to the point of where I am now (pre-calculus). Now I know what many of you are going to type is I have not even dove into the advanced math yet and I know. I was recommended before on here to purchase a linear algebra textbook as that would be a good starting place for advanced math and I did so and am loving it so far. I just came across the test called the AMC 12. I never have heard of this test until I found it on google tonight and am interested in taking it. I am not sure if I am gifted enough to take it as I understand in order to qualify for the competition this is purely a talent based competition combined with hard work and effort. Now I ask of you all, should I take this test, I have no taken calculus yet and am going to do so in my AP AB Cal class next year. Do I need cal for this test or is Pre-Cal sufficient, as I would like to take this test next year. How hard is this test as I am just beginning my adventure into the exploration of proofs and not just simply solving problems such as my Pre-Cal course. I have researched some guides on how I should study for this test and I have came across " The Art and Craft of Problem Solving" by Paul Seitz and " The Art of Problem Solving Volume 2" by Richard Rusczyk. Are these good texts and will studying this in my junior year help me excel in Cal and in college? Will these books prepare me well for the AMC 12? Finally, how can you tell if you are gifted in math as I have not achieved a perfect score on the SAT math portion and that worries me. Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any other suggestions?

Anyone?? Sorry just am concerned.

1. What is the AMC?

The AMC (American Mathematics Competition) is a series of contests in mathematics for students in grades 8-12. It is organized by the Mathematical Association of America and consists of several exams, including the AMC 8, AMC 10, and AMC 12.

2. What are the benefits of participating in the AMC?

Participating in the AMC can help students develop problem-solving skills, critical thinking skills, and logical reasoning abilities. It can also help students prepare for other math competitions and college admissions exams.

3. How can I prepare for the AMC?

There are many ways to prepare for the AMC, including practicing with past exams, joining a math club or team, and studying math concepts and strategies. You can also find study materials and resources on the official AMC website.

4. What are some tips for performing well on the AMC?

Some tips for performing well on the AMC include reading and understanding the problem carefully, managing your time effectively, and showing all of your work. It is also helpful to practice with timed exams and to review any concepts that you may struggle with.

5. How are scores calculated for the AMC?

The AMC uses a scoring system based on the number of correct answers and the difficulty of the questions. Each correct answer is worth 6 points, each incorrect answer is worth 0 points, and each unanswered question is worth 1.5 points. The total score is then scaled to a maximum of 150 points.