1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Source of Projectile in Vacuum Outcome

1. May 15, 2008 #1
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=75116 (the url has spaces) it said "shooting the projectile at 45 degrees will yield the greatest distance..." Where do you find that information. I need to know for my scientific experiment for school. I know this fact is true, but where is the source of this information? Thnx in advance.

Sorry if I post this is the wrong section. I really don't know where this thread should go o_O

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One can derive a set of kinematic equation (for constant acceleration) using Newton's second law. The equations of most interest are,

[tex]s = v_0t+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

And the defintion of speed,

[tex]v = \frac{d}{t} \Rightarrow t = \frac{d}{v}[/tex]

One then needs to consider motion in the vertical and horizontal directions separately. For more information you can try Googling for Projectile Motion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?