Need Source of Projectile in Vacuum Outcome

In summary, the thread discusses the relationship between the angle of projection and the distance traveled by a projectile. It is mentioned that shooting the projectile at 45 degrees will yield the greatest distance. The source of this information is not explicitly stated, but it is suggested to research projectile motion and kinematic equations derived from Newton's second law.
Zinic
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=75116 (the url has spaces) it said "shooting the projectile at 45 degrees will yield the greatest distance..." Where do you find that information. I need to know for my scientific experiment for school. I know this fact is true, but where is the source of this information? Thnx in advance.

Sorry if I post this is the wrong section. I really don't know where this thread should go o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zinic said:
http ://ww w.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=75116 (the url has spaces) it said "shooting the projectile at 45 degrees will yield the greatest distance..." Where do you find that information. I need to know for my scientific experiment for school. I know this fact is true, but where is the source of this information? Thnx in advance.

Sorry if I post this is the wrong section. I really don't know where this thread should go o_O
One can derive a set of kinematic equation (for constant acceleration) using Newton's second law. The equations of most interest are,

[tex]s = v_0t+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

And the defintion of speed,

[tex]v = \frac{d}{t} \Rightarrow t = \frac{d}{v}[/tex]

One then needs to consider motion in the vertical and horizontal directions separately. For more information you can try Googling for Projectile Motion.

The statement that shooting a projectile at a 45 degree angle will yield the greatest distance in a vacuum is a well-known fact in the field of physics. This concept is known as the "range equation" and can be found in many physics textbooks and online resources. One possible source for this information is the website of the University of Wisconsin-Madison physics department, which has a section on projectile motion that includes the range equation and its derivation. Other reputable sources for this information include physics journals and other university physics department websites. As a scientist, it is important to always cite your sources and verify the accuracy of any information you use in your experiments. I recommend consulting with your teacher or a qualified physics expert for more information on the range equation and its sources. Good luck with your experiment!

What is a "Need Source of Projectile in Vacuum Outcome" experiment?

A "Need Source of Projectile in Vacuum Outcome" experiment is a scientific investigation that aims to determine the effect of different sources of projectiles in a vacuum environment. The outcome of this experiment is to understand how the source of a projectile affects its trajectory and velocity in a vacuum.

Why is this experiment important?

This experiment is important because it allows scientists to study the motion of objects in a vacuum, which closely mimics the conditions in outer space. It also helps in understanding the role of air resistance in projectile motion and its absence in a vacuum.

What are the materials required for this experiment?

The materials required for this experiment include a vacuum chamber, a source of projectile such as a ball or a dart, a measuring device to record the trajectory and velocity of the projectile, and a vacuum pump to create a vacuum environment.

What are some potential outcomes of this experiment?

The potential outcomes of this experiment include observing the projectile's trajectory and velocity under different source conditions, determining the effect of air resistance on projectile motion, and possibly discovering new laws or principles related to motion in a vacuum.

How can the results of this experiment be applied?

The results of this experiment can be applied in various fields such as space exploration, aerodynamics, and physics. It can also aid in the development of technologies that rely on accurate understanding and prediction of motion in a vacuum environment.