Need to buy a laptop that can load XP OS

  • Thread starter Thread starter yungman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Laptop Load Os
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
yungman
Messages
5,741
Reaction score
291
Hi All

I have some old programs that can only run on XP. It is impossible to buy a new XP laptop anymore. I am thinking about buying a new Windows 7 laptop and load the XP into it so it can run the old programs. What do I have to look out when buying a laptop and also When is the XP OS I should buy to load onto the new laptop.

Or is there any way to make the old programs run on Windows 7? I tried to load them and they won't work as is.

Thanks.

Alan
 
Physics news on Phys.org
yungman said:
Hi All

I have some old programs that can only run on XP. It is impossible to buy a new XP laptop anymore. I am thinking about buying a new Windows 7 laptop and load the XP into it so it can run the old programs. What do I have to look out when buying a laptop and also When is the XP OS I should buy to load onto the new laptop.

Thanks.

Alan

Win 7 has some decent compatibility tools and modes. Are you sure they won't work?
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
Win 7 has some decent compatibility tools and modes. Are you sure they won't work?

What do you mean as I am not very good with computers. I have the Windows Virtual XP but it did funny things some times like the circle look like an elipse as the aspect ratio is not correct.
 
Here's a guide on XP compatibility for Windows 7: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/316-compatibility-mode.html
 
Thanks Greg Bernhardt and Jhae2.718.

I can't find the commend per the website provided. BUT I right click the program and do trouble shoot compatibility and check the box that said the program will install and work in XP SP2. Then I don't know what I done! After a few rounds, I tried and installed the program, at least one seems to work in my new computer that run W7!

I am a little nervous of what I did! But so far so good.

Thanks

Alan