Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need to buy a laptop that can load XP OS

1. Dec 12, 2011 #1
    Hi All

I have some old programs that can only run on XP. It is impossible to buy a new XP laptop anymore. I am thinking about buying a new Windows 7 laptop and load the XP into it so it can run the old programs. What do I have to look out when buying a laptop and also When is the XP OS I should buy to load onto the new laptop.

Or is there any way to make the old programs run on Windows 7? I tried to load them and they won't work as is.

Thanks.

Alan

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2011 #2
    Win 7 has some decent compatibility tools and modes. Are you sure they won't work?

4. Dec 12, 2011 #3
    What do you mean as I am not very good with computers. I have the Windows Virtual XP but it did funny things some times like the circle look like an elipse as the aspect ratio is not correct.

5. Dec 12, 2011 #4

jhae2.718

Gold Member

6. Dec 13, 2011 #5
    Thanks Greg Bernhardt and Jhae2.718.

I can't find the commend per the website provided. BUT I right click the program and do trouble shoot compatibility and check the box that said the program will install and work in XP SP2. Then I don't know what I done!!!! After a few rounds, I tried and installed the program, at least one seems to work in my new computer that run W7!!!!!

I am a little nervous of what I did!!! But so far so good.

Thanks

Alan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook