Help installing old programs onto new a Win 10 computer

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
I open the Autoplay and look, this is what's in it:

[autorun]
open=AutoPlay.exe -c
icon=Autoplay\ps5cd.ico

I type in Autoplay.exe in cmd.exe, it said it cannot find the program.

Attachments

Am I running out of luck?

rcgldr
Homework Helper
You need to find the directory that autoplay.exe is located and try running it from there. As posted earlier, some 32 bit programs use a 16 bit installer (most of these from back in the days of Win 9X or legacy install programs from those days that were not updated), which won't run on a 64 bit version of Windows. Also as posted, you could use the virtual PC Win XP mode for programs that use a 16 bit installer. I recommend using a USB stick to transfer files between the virtual XP machine and your actual machine. The virtual machine CPU speeds are OK, but the emulated graphics is slow (if it's still the S3 Trio emulation, it doesn't have any 3d acceleration, only 2d).

For applications and games that use cd/dvd copy protection programs like safedisk or securerom, these won't run on Windows 10 (even in virtual PC / XP mode), because Windows 10 won't allow those programs to install the drivers those programs use. Windows XP allows such drivers to be installed by default. Windows 7 and 8 default to not installing such drivers, but in the case of Windows 7 or 8, that can be overridden and the drivers installed. In the case of Windows 10, there's no documented method for forcing such drivers to install, as installing these type of drivers is considered a security risk.

You need to find the directory that autoplay.exe is located and try running it from there. As posted earlier, some 32 bit programs use a 16 bit installer (most of these from back in the days of Win 9X or legacy install programs from those days that were not updated), which won't run on a 64 bit version of Windows. Also as posted, you could use the virtual PC Win XP mode for programs that use a 16 bit installer. I recommend using a USB stick to transfer files between the virtual XP machine and your actual machine. The virtual machine CPU speeds are OK, but the emulated graphics is slow (if it's still the S3 Trio emulation, it doesn't have any 3d acceleration, only 2d).

For applications and games that use cd/dvd copy protection programs like safedisk or securerom, these won't run on Windows 10 (even in virtual PC / XP mode), because Windows 10 won't allow those programs to install the drivers those programs use. Windows XP allows such drivers to be installed by default. Windows 7 and 8 default to not installing such drivers, but in the case of Windows 7 or 8, that can be overridden and the drivers installed. In the case of Windows 10, there's no documented method for forcing such drivers to install, as installing these type of drivers is considered a security risk.
I did a search of autoplay.exe in "my pc", only thing came up were the two autoplay in the photoshop 6.0 installation folder ( which is just a copy of the CD on the desktop). There are no autoplay.exe in the computer.

Earlier, I went into cmd.exe and ran autoplay.exe, it said there is no program by that name.

I think the problem is my new computer does not have autoplay.exe. is there anyway to get this from Microsoft or something?

Thanks

rcgldr
Homework Helper
Is there a setup.exe on the cd-rom? If so, try running that.

Is there a setup.exe on the cd-rom? If so, try running that.
There is none.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
You have file extensions turned off. Which means you likely have hide system files activated as well.
It's possible that setup.exe is hidden. It's also possible it's in a different directory (say, the AUTOPLAY directory there).

(Just Google 'view hidden files win 10')

Open autoplay/autorun in Notepad to see what file(s) it runs.

Likes Nik_2213 and yungman
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Thanks

I got in, it want me to install all different things, is it safe?

Thanks
Such as?

Try this: https://adobe-photoshop-free.en.lo4d.com/. If it works, use your original serial number...
Hi

I tried that, it just take me to install all sort of things other than the photoshop. It just go round and round......as I expected.

Now the question is how do I uninstall all the tracking stuffs. I went to the install programs, it's not there.

You have file extensions turned off. Which means you likely have hide system files activated as well.
It's possible that setup.exe is hidden. It's also possible it's in a different directory (say, the AUTOPLAY directory there).

(Just Google 'view hidden files win 10')

Open autoplay/autorun in Notepad to see what file(s) it runs.
Thanks

That worked, I displayed the hidden files, sure enough there is a Setup application file, I installed the Photoshop.....my original 6.0 from CD.

Thanks

Alan

Looks like I can do the same thing for the Avery program CD also. Big Boss doesn't want new programs, just the ones she's familiar with.

Sure learn a lot monkeying with win 10. I have been using win7, it's a good experience. Thanks for all your help.

Alan

Likes Nik_2213