Need to solve the following differential equation

In summary, Simon is seeking help with solving a differential equation to find the values of c and B. They suggest using separation of variables and integration to get a result involving an inverse hyperbolic tangent. However, they note that the equation is non-linear, making it difficult to solve using the "homogeneous + particular" approach.
simick1712
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure where to post it.

Can anyone help me - I need to solve the following differential equation and find the values of c and B.

> k is given as -98.3146.
> v = 55 when t = 9
> v = 50 when t = 10

k(v^2) + B = m.(dv/dt)

Am I right in thinking that by separation of variables and integration I get

arctan(v/sqrt(B/k))=kt/m + c

??

But then if so, how do I find the values of c and B?

Thanks for any help,

Simon.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution would be OK, except that k is negative. Note that you are taking the square root of k. The proper way to do this gets you an inverse hyperbolic tangent, not an arctan.

Also, your k on the rhs should be sqrt(Bk)

Last edited:
First, I don't see any C in the equation to solve, so I assume it's the constant of integration.
I got:
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{B}}{\sqrt{k}}\tanh{\frac{\sqrt{B}\sqrt{k}\cdot t+C \sqrt{B}\sqrt{k}\cdot m}{m}}[/tex]

Last edited:
You could also try the "homogeneous + particular" approach.

eJavier said:
You could also try the "homogeneous + particular" approach.

No, you can't because this is a non-linear equation. The whole point of linear equations is that you can solve separate parts of the problem, then put them together. With non-linear equations you can't do that.

HallsofIvy said:
No, you can't because this is a non-linear equation. The whole point of linear equations is that you can solve separate parts of the problem, then put them together. With non-linear equations you can't do that.

Yes, you're right. :blush:

Related to Need to solve the following differential equation

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model and solve many real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

Solving a differential equation allows us to find the exact or approximate solution to a problem. This can help us understand the behavior of a system, make predictions, and make informed decisions.

How do you solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. The specific method used depends on the type and complexity of the equation.

What information is needed to solve a differential equation?

To solve a differential equation, we need to know the initial conditions, which are the values of the function and its derivatives at a specific point. These initial conditions help us determine the particular solution to the equation.

Why are differential equations important in science?

Differential equations are important in science because they allow us to mathematically describe and analyze the behavior of complex systems. They help us understand and predict natural phenomena and make advancements in various fields of study.