What is the correct way to negate the proposition in this case?

In summary, the method for negating compound statements involves starting from the outermost statement and working your way towards the inner statements. For example, "for all" becomes "there exists" and "and" becomes "or". In the given conversation, the negation states that there exists a rational number that is not the ratio of two integers.
kukumaluboy
5tymp2.jpg

my attempt.

Let P = At least one a and at least one b
Let Q = r=a/b

Hence the proposition is simplified to,

For all r where P Then Q

Negation:
Not all
r where P Then Q
= Atleast one R When Not(P Then Q)

Not(P Then Q) = P And Not Q

Hence
Atleast one R When Not(P Then Q)
= Atleast one R When P And Not Q

After this step i substitute back P and Q.
Is this way correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a general method for negating that goes from the outermost (left-most) statement : For all is negated into there is
kukumaluboy said:
5tymp2.jpg

my attempt.

Let P = At least one a and at least one b
Let Q = r=a/b

Hence the proposition is simplified to,

For all r where P Then Q

Negation:
Not all
r where P Then Q
= Atleast one R When Not(P Then Q)

Not(P Then Q) = P And Not Q

Hence
Atleast one R When Not(P Then Q)
= Atleast one R When P And Not Q

After this step i substitute back P and Q.
Is this way correct?

There is a general method for negating compound statements : the negation is done from the leftmost to rightmost statement: first you negate the "for all" into there exists
and then you negate the A and B statement into NotA or NotB , where A is There exists an integer Z , negated into " For all a in Z "and so on. Informally, the negation says that there exists a Rational that is not the ratio of two integers.

Hi so the ans is.

There exists a rational number r, Where all integer a and all integer b such that r != a/b

May i know what is "such that' converted to? For my case i tot it means "then"

What is negation for proposition?

Negation for proposition refers to the process of expressing the opposite or contrary of a given statement or proposition. It is commonly denoted by the symbol "¬" or the word "not".

Why is negation for proposition important in science?

Negation for proposition allows scientists to challenge and test existing theories and hypotheses. By considering the opposite of a statement, scientists can identify potential flaws or limitations in their thinking and improve their understanding of a subject.

How is negation for proposition used in research?

Negation for proposition is commonly used in the formulation and testing of null hypotheses. By stating the opposite of a proposed hypothesis, researchers can design experiments and collect data to either support or reject the null hypothesis.

What is the difference between negation for proposition and double negation?

Negation for proposition refers to the process of expressing the opposite of a statement, while double negation refers to the use of two negative terms in a statement. Double negation can sometimes result in a positive statement, while negation for proposition always results in a negative statement.

Can negation for proposition be applied to all types of statements?

Yes, negation for proposition can be applied to all types of statements, including mathematical, scientific, and linguistic statements. It is a fundamental logical operation that can be used to express the opposite of any given statement.