Negative Power Supply Clarification

In summary: In this case, the neutral point is used as the reference because it is close to ground. If you discuss that system from the POW of the battery and control electronics, you can still use the negative terminal as Earth (reference).
PhysicsTest
TL;DR Summary
Need to understand the circuit as shown below
I am confused with the negative voltage supply connections in electric circuit. If i have circuit as below with -5V source
1652101938591.png

it is same as below
1652101977373.png

In the 2nd circuit the 5V is directly shorted with the ground, does it mean the circuit is not correct? Am i missing something? Please advise.

Engineering news on Phys.org
As long as the voltage source is floating (like a battery), it can be connected in either polarity.

Many/most DC lab power supplies float the +/- outputs so you can do just that (or stack multiple power supply voltages), and they usually make an Earth Ground connection available as well in case you want to use it.

1652102348460.png

https://eleshop.eu/korad-kd6002d.html

The 'ground' for such theoretical questions is just the declaration of the reference level/point.

Since it is the reference, usually it's taken as the 0V. So those drawings declaring the ground at 5V or -5V are not really the best: to have the other (not ground-connected) output of the voltage sources marked as -5V and 5V would be better.

Likes DaveE and berkeman
Rive said:
The 'ground' for such theoretical questions is just the declaration of the reference level/point.

Since it is the reference, usually it's taken as the 0V. So those drawings declaring the ground at 5V or -5V are not really the best: to have the other (not ground-connected) output of the voltage sources marked as -5V and 5V would be better.
Thank you for reply, i really did not understand, how the circuit will look like with the above changes.

In spice, node 0 is always ground, and that reference is needed somewhere, or you can't measure voltages. A voltage source can be created and connected between any two nodes in the circuit.
You can change the circuit polarity by changing the sign of the voltage, or by swapping the connections or nodes.

Try this spice directive (with two text lines) to declare and connect two voltage sources, Vc and Ve.
Vc Vcc 0 +5
Ve Vee 0 -5

That will create two power supply nodes or rails, one Vcc = +5V, the other Vee = -5V.
Any pin or node labelled Vcc or Vee will then be connected to a supply rail.

Try swapping nodes and polarity to confuse readers, or yourself later.
Vc 0 Vcc -5
Ve 0 Vee +5

Vcc+5_Vee-5_.png

• Informative
Likes berkeman
I am referring to the below video https://community.nxp.com/t5/Model-...T/Module-4-Space-Vector-Modulation/m-p/737654
I don't understand the Neutral point which he refers at several points starting at time 3.57. Why does he take neutral point? I observe that at the neutral point the voltage will be VDC/2 - VDC/2 = 0V. Is it a concept or need to connect the load as mentioned at the midpoint of the power source. I am sorry if i am asking the same question several times. Please advise.

Just to add i understood the concept of floating power supply from the previous posts, it is important only the difference of voltages. The negative point need not be at 0V or ground voltage.

The neutral point is the common terminal at the centre of the star or Y in a three-phase system.
That point could be connected to the neutral wire, which will be close to ground.

PhysicsTest said:
I don't understand the Neutral point which he refers at several points starting at time 3.57. Why does he take neutral point? I observe that at the neutral point the voltage will be VDC/2 - VDC/2 = 0V.

One of the reasons is exactly your observation. The usage of the 'neutral' point as a reference in such a three phase system makes things symmetrical from the point of view of the load. Since you expect some sinus-like (symmetrical) waveforms on the load, this makes some calculations a lot easier.

If you discuss that system from the POW of the battery and control electronics, you can still use the negative terminal as Earth (reference).

As far as circuit analysis goes both approach is valid, as long as you don't mix them up.

It is confusing. Always keep your actual reference point in mind.

1. What is a negative power supply?

A negative power supply is a type of power supply that provides a negative voltage output. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to power components that require a negative voltage, such as op-amps and transistors.

2. How is a negative power supply different from a positive power supply?

A negative power supply differs from a positive power supply in that it provides a negative voltage output instead of a positive voltage output. This means that the voltage polarity is reversed, with the negative terminal being the ground and the positive terminal being the voltage output.

3. Why is a negative power supply necessary in some circuits?

A negative power supply is necessary in some circuits because certain components, such as op-amps, require both positive and negative voltages to function properly. In these circuits, the negative power supply is used to provide the negative voltage needed for the component to operate.

4. How is a negative power supply created?

A negative power supply can be created using a variety of methods, such as using a transformer with a center-tapped secondary winding, using a voltage inverter circuit, or using a switching regulator. The method used will depend on the specific requirements and design of the circuit.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a negative power supply?

As with any power supply, there are some safety concerns to consider when using a negative power supply. It is important to ensure that the voltage output is within the safe operating range of the components being powered, and to take proper precautions when handling and connecting the power supply to the circuit. Additionally, it is important to properly ground the negative terminal to prevent electric shock hazards.