Negative pressure head in a nozzle

In summary, the conversation discusses fluid flow calculations for nozzle designs. It mentions the flow of fluid through different sections and the relationship between the diameters and velocities. The possibility of negative pressure and energy losses is also mentioned, causing confusion for the person asking the questions. However, it is clarified that pressure cannot drop below absolute zero and the behavior of the fluid changes if it becomes a gas.
KLM86
Hi,

I am doing some fluid flow calculations for some nozzle designs at work.

For one nozzle in particular, the fluid flows through an inlet pipe, then flows through a short contracted section, then flows into a Helmholtz chamber before entering another contracted section through which it discharges to the atmosphere. The exit diameter (d2) is larger than the diameter of the first contraction upstream of the Helmholtz chamber (d1). Hence U1 > U2. If the nozzle is in a horizontal position, the altitude term of Bernoulli's equation can be neglected. Using gauge pressure, P2=0.

So,

P1 + 0.5*ρ*U12=0.5*ρ*U22

Implying that the term P1 is negative (U1>U2) (?)

I am assuming steady flow occurs through the nozzle and also that the nozzle is designed to produce energy losses that are small enough to be ignored.

This is hypothetical as much as anything as I know that a real nozzle would produce energy losses. However, if the absolute atmospheric pressure was close to zero and U1 was sufficiently greater than U2 to counter any energy loss through the nozzle, then the term P1 could actually be negative in absolute terms?

I'm confused! Someone please tell me where I'm going wrong with this.

Thanks.

Kathryn.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
What is the fluid ?
You assume steady state flow. How do you know it is not an oscillator ?

KLM86 said:
... However, if the absolute atmospheric pressure was close to zero and U1 was sufficiently greater than U2 to counter any energy loss through the nozzle, then the term P1 could actually be negative in absolute terms?

I'm confused! Someone please tell me where I'm going wrong with this...

As I understand it, P1 cannot drop lower than absolute zero pressure, but it can drop lower than than atmospheric pressure, which is why venturi tubes can produce a vacuum. U1 does not increase without bound and as P1 gets close to absolute zero, U1 and U2 both slow down while maintaining the u1*di^2 = u2*d2^2 relationship. If the fluid is a liquid, reduced pressure at the inlet causes the liquid to boil causing bubbles to form and cavitation, increasing the friction and back pressure. Once bubbles form, the liquid is no longer an incompressible fluid.

What is negative pressure head in a nozzle?

Negative pressure head in a nozzle is the measurement of the decrease in pressure as a fluid flows through a nozzle. It is also known as the Venturi effect, where the velocity of a fluid increases as it passes through a constricted area, causing a decrease in pressure.

What causes negative pressure head in a nozzle?

Negative pressure head in a nozzle is caused by the acceleration of a fluid as it passes through a constricted area. This acceleration is a result of the conservation of energy, where the total energy of the fluid must remain constant as it flows through the nozzle.

What are the applications of negative pressure head in a nozzle?

Negative pressure head in a nozzle has various applications, including in fluid mechanics experiments, hydraulic systems, and in the design of air and water pumps. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing for controlling and measuring fluid flow.

How is negative pressure head in a nozzle measured?

Negative pressure head in a nozzle is typically measured using a manometer, which is a device that measures pressure differences between two points. The pressure difference is then converted into a head measurement using the Bernoulli equation.

How can negative pressure head in a nozzle be controlled?

Negative pressure head in a nozzle can be controlled by adjusting the size and shape of the nozzle. By changing the constricted area, the velocity and pressure of the fluid can be altered, thus affecting the negative pressure head. Additionally, controlling the flow rate of the fluid can also impact the negative pressure head in a nozzle.