Can Negative Speed of Light Allow Time Travel?

In summary: I don't quite understand your question. The speed of light as a magnitude doesn't have a sign. There is however a space - time in general relativity described by the Godel Metric where there exist closed timelike curves such that a particle can go forward then backward in time in a "loop" like fashion in a rotating universe but this metric doesn't describe a realistic geometry by our understanding.There is no "universal time". There is only time as experienced by observers (us) and time experienced by the matter of the universe.
hty226
i am only a year 11 student so i don't know much about the Theory of relativity
i just heard that if we can travel at the speed of light our time will be slower than the other
so i am just wondering if we can travel at a negative speed of light that means that we can go back in time?

Science news on Phys.org
I think the idea is, if you travel faster than C or the speed of light we would go backwards in time.

I think this goes against Entropy. Like you can burn a stick in a fire but you cannot un-burn it.

Some people see the Universe like a clock that you can simply turn back. Other think its not possible to go back in time at all. The reason being you would have to send everything else back in time as well.

I don't know the truth either way. It seems to me like we could get close to the speed of light but never reach it with any mass as in a space ship.

Time should slow down but would the observer notice a difference? The brain does not operate faster than it does in this time.

You cannot travel a negative speed.

You can travel a negative velocity, depending on your coordinate system.

It is not possible to go back in time (yet, at least). The observer on the ship would not notice a time dilation with respect to his reference frame, but he would notice a time dilation for someone traveling close to the speed of light with respect to the original observer.

It is viable to say that either observer is moving, and that either observer is stationary.

We can't go back in time. Simple as that. It does make since that going faster than the speed of light would make you go back in time but absolutely nothing can go faster since something would need an infinite amount of energy to do so. You also can't have negative speed. That would be like saying something is negative in distance. There's just no such thing.

I don't quite understand your question. The speed of light as a magnitude doesn't have a sign. There is however a space - time in general relativity described by the Godel Metric where there exist closed timelike curves such that a particle can go forward then backward in time in a "loop" like fashion in a rotating universe but this metric doesn't describe a realistic geometry by our understanding.

There is no "universal time". There is only time as experienced by observers (us) and time experienced by the matter of the universe.

To get straight to your question, here's how it works: If you were to travel really really fast (99.99% the speed of light) for some period of time, you would experience only a few seconds of time while Earth (and its inhabitants) experience years and years of time.

It's more of an "anti-aging" theory than anything.

hty226 said:
i am only a year 11 student so i don't know much about the Theory of relativity
i just heard that if we can travel at the speed of light our time will be slower than the other
so i am just wondering if we can travel at a negative speed of light that means that we can go back in time?

No.
The time will be slower for YOU, but NOT anything else.
That is, your human metabolism will be affected, but NOT the Universe.
Thus, no time travel.

pallidin said:
No.
Thus, no time travel.

So traveling faster than the speed of light would cause you yourself to experience time backwords...meaning you would never set out on the trip or anything else...oh the paradoxes!

But not really, as one cannot travel faster than the speed of light.

pallidin said:
No.
Thus, no time travel.

Actually any stationary observer relative to an observer observing you moving close to the speed of light will be slower. Your time will remain unaffected.

Thats a tongue twister.

1. What is negative speed of light?

Negative speed of light is a hypothetical concept in which light travels in the opposite direction of its normal propagation. This would mean that the velocity of light is negative, which goes against the currently accepted laws of physics.

2. Is negative speed of light possible?

At this point in time, there is no evidence or proof that negative speed of light is possible. The laws of physics, specifically Einstein's theory of relativity, do not allow for negative velocities. However, some theories in quantum mechanics have suggested the possibility of negative energy, which could potentially lead to negative speed of light.

3. What would happen if negative speed of light was possible?

If negative speed of light was possible, it would completely change our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could potentially lead to time travel and cause major disruptions in our current understanding of cause and effect. It is also possible that it could have practical applications in areas such as telecommunications and space travel.

4. Has negative speed of light been observed or measured?

No, negative speed of light has not been observed or measured. Scientists have not been able to create conditions in which light travels in the opposite direction, and there is no evidence of it occurring naturally in the universe.

5. Why is there so much interest in negative speed of light?

There is a lot of interest in negative speed of light because it challenges our current understanding of the universe and has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of physics. It also opens up the possibility of new technologies and capabilities that were previously thought to be impossible.