Negative time in equations of motion

In summary: I was hoping he'd understand what you said about the delta in the first problem and then use it in the second problem. Of course, he could use the formula ##a = {\Delta v\over \Delta t}## and see that his zero time is when the car is traveling 35 m/s. So the time he's looking for is when the car is traveling 15 m/s. I think he just needs to get more comfortable with the notation.
beck blackfire

Homework Statement

My teacher keeps saying we can't have negative times because they don't exist and when I do these questions I get negatives and can't understand them at all, can someone help me?
1. How long does it take to slow a car from 10m/s to rest at a rate of -1.75m/s^2?
2.How long does it take to slow a car going 35m/s to 15m/s at an acceleration of -3.75m/[/B]

Homework Equations

t=v/a

The Attempt at a Solution

1)t=v/a
t=10/-1.75
t=-5s
2) I can't understand it almost at all

Physics news on Phys.org
In the use of your formula are you assuming the velocity is constant? Is this the case?

beck blackfire said:
t=v/a

Actually it should be t=Δv/a. What is Δv?

And it gets even better: ##a = {\Delta v\over \Delta t}## is the right way to memorize. Any of them can be negative.

Teacher wants to keep things easy for your sake. "negative times" is too fuzzy. Time is running forward only. Time differences can be negative -- depending on when you pin down the zero of your clock (or calendar).

Likes Borek
In case you don't know what "Δ" means...

beck blackfire said:

Homework Equations

t=v/a

What others have said. Your relevant equation is really...

Acceleration = Change in velocity / Change in time.

Rearrange that to..

Change in time = Change in velocity / Acceleration

If you apply that to the problem carefully you get a +ve answer...

1. How long does it take to slow a car from 10m/s to rest at a rate of -1.75m/s^2?

The change in velocity is 0-10 = -10m/s so the equation becomes..

Change in time = -10 / -1.75 = +5.7 seconds.

Try doing problem 2.

Last edited:
beck blackfire said:

Homework Statement

My teacher keeps saying we can't have negative times because they don't exist and when I do these questions I get negatives and can't understand them at all, can someone help me?
2.How long does it take to slow a car going 35m/s to 15m/s at an acceleration of -3.75m/[/B]

Homework Equations

t=v/a

The Attempt at a Solution

1)t=v/a
t=10/-1.75
t=-5s
2) I can't understand it almost at all
It's likely that your problem arises from problems which are quadratic in time.

Then you often have two solutions, with one of them possibly being negative.

For instance:
A ball is tossed upward with a speed of 50m/s from a height of 15m above ground level. How long does it take the ball to land on the ground?​

There will be two answers for time, t. One is negative.

Dear Sam, from post #1 I estimate we are in an earlier stage here...
Better poster works on exercise 2

Last edited:
BvU said:
Dear Sam, from post #1 I estimate we are in an earlier stage here...
Better poster works on exercise 2
Point well taken.

1. What is negative time in equations of motion?

Negative time in equations of motion refers to a time value that is less than zero. This concept is often used in physics and mathematics to describe motion that is occurring in the opposite direction of the reference point or starting point.

2. How is negative time represented in equations of motion?

Negative time is typically represented by using a negative sign (-) in front of the time value. For example, if the initial time is 0 and an object is moving in the negative direction, the time value may be represented as -2 seconds.

3. Can negative time values be used in all equations of motion?

Yes, negative time values can be used in all equations of motion. However, it is important to keep in mind that the initial time value must also be considered. In some cases, the use of negative time may result in complex or imaginary solutions.

4. What does a negative time value indicate in equations of motion?

A negative time value indicates that the motion is occurring in the opposite direction of the reference point or starting point. This could mean that the object is moving backwards or in the negative direction on a coordinate axis.

5. How does negative time affect the overall motion of an object?

Negative time can have different effects on the overall motion of an object depending on the specific equation of motion being used. In general, a negative time value indicates a change in direction or a reversal of motion. It is important to carefully consider the initial conditions and the direction of motion when using negative time in equations of motion.