Neglected solutions to the (free) Dirac equation?

In summary, according to Griffiths, the solutions to the Dirac equation are allowed if the three-space momentum is not zero, but this state is not observed.
nonequilibrium
So it is said that a basis for the plane wave solutions to the Dirac equation are of the form (p denotes the four-momentum vector) [itex]e^{-i p \cdot x} u^{(s)}[/itex] (for particles) and [itex]e^{i p \cdot x} v^{(s)}[/itex] (for antiparticles), with s = 1 or 2 (and u and v having predetermined structure).

I'm reading in Griffiths' Introduction to Elementary Particles and there he derives the above, and in doing so he says (p233, on top) that e.g. the solution [itex]e^{-i p \cdot x} v^{(s)}[/itex] isn't allowed since it blows up as the three-space momentum [itex]\mathbf p \to 0[/itex]. However, why is this a sufficient reason to simply neglect the solution? It seems like a valid solution as long as the (three-space) momentum is not zero... And why isn't this state observed?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have Griffiths, but it seems rather unphysical for a rest frame for a massive particle not to exist. It kinda conflicts with SR, etc...

True, but then that means the solutions of the Dirac equation aren't consistent with relativity?

I don't have Griffiths either, but the page you mention is available on Google books. Positive frequency solutions correspond to particles and negative frequency solutions to antiparticles. All he's saying is that you must choose the sign in Eq. 7.41 so that in both cases the energy comes out positive. E > 0 insures (among other things!) that the denominators E + mc2 in Eq. 7.42 will never be zero, even when the particle is at rest.

Last edited:
I still don't understand on what ground the solution that blows up for [itex]\mathbf p \to 0[/itex] is excluded; maybe it's in your post Bill, in which case I'm not seeing it.

He hasn't excluded anything, in Eq 7.42 he lists four independent solutions. It's just that to write them in their final form he had to replace k0 by ±p0, and in each case there was a sign choice to make. He used + for the particle states and - for the antiparticle states so p0 = E always comes out positive.

The only reason he mentions what happens when p → 0 is to make this choice of sign seem plausible.

I don't follow exactly what you're saying. It seems like you're implying that the sign business is just a convention? But surely a convention wouldn't have an effect on what would happen for [itex]\mathbf p \to 0[/itex]?

1. What is the (free) Dirac equation and why is it important?

The (free) Dirac equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons. It is important because it successfully combines quantum mechanics and special relativity, and has been used to make numerous predictions in particle physics.

2. What are some commonly neglected solutions to the (free) Dirac equation?

Some commonly neglected solutions include the negative energy solutions, which are often ignored due to their negative energies and apparent lack of physical significance. However, these solutions have been shown to have important implications in quantum field theory and cosmology.

3. How do these neglected solutions affect our understanding of particles?

The neglected solutions of the (free) Dirac equation have been shown to have important implications for the behavior of particles, particularly in the realm of quantum field theory. They can lead to new interpretations of particle interactions and may even provide a possible explanation for the origin of dark matter.

4. Why are these solutions often overlooked in research and experiments?

The neglected solutions of the (free) Dirac equation are often overlooked because they are more complicated and difficult to study compared to the positive energy solutions. Additionally, they were initially thought to have no physical significance due to their negative energies, leading to their neglect in research and experiments.

5. How can we incorporate these neglected solutions into our current understanding of particle physics?

Incorporating these neglected solutions into our current understanding of particle physics can be challenging, but it has the potential to greatly advance our understanding of the fundamental nature of particles. This can be achieved through further theoretical and experimental research, as well as the development of new mathematical and computational techniques to study these solutions.