Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neglecting brownian diffusion

1. Dec 9, 2009 #1
    I am going to run an experiment where I have a laminar flow of water with a dye solvent.

It is necessary that the velocity of the dye particles is mostly in the horisontal directions. Naturally particles will diffuse but my questions is how I can ascertain that this is kept below some prerequisite.

I assume there should be some dimensional number telling me for example the ratio of convection/diffusion (thinking Peclet?) and using this I can choose my flow rate and channel dimension to keep diffusion below the required number. However, will this work in practice?

I am looking at particles at a nanoscopic scale where variations in y must be kept below ~5nm over a distance of ~50nm.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think you are going to have a problem because the continuum approximation breaks down at those scales. You can try to use (for example) the Peclet number, but I don't think it will work that well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook