1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nested intervals, uncountable sets, unique points.

1. Apr 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [a,b] be an interval and let A be a subset of [a,b] and suppose that A is an infinite set.

Suppose that A is uncountable. Prove that there exists a point z which is an element of [a,b] such that A intersect I is uncountable for every open interval I that contains z.

2. Relevant equations

I don't really know how to start this problem. I know I can use the fact that a set that contains an uncountable subset is uncountable. Any help would be appreciated

3. The attempt at a solution

I know z is an element of I, and that I is uncountable. I also know z is an element of [an, bn]. I know there exists a unique point z in [an, bn] and I know A is uncountable.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2009 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know about compactness?

4. Apr 27, 2009 #3
    no, we have not covered compactness.

5. Apr 27, 2009 #4
    mathkiddi, what "completeness" axioms/theorems have you covered? Specifically, have you covered any of these:

least upper bound, bounded monotone sequences, Bolzano-Weierstrass, Heine-Borel, nested intervals, or anything like these? limit points? accumulation points? subsequences?

What is [an, bn]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook