Net Charge of Fluorine Atom: Is it Possible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Procrastinate
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Charge Net
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Procrastinate
Messages
155
Reaction score
0
This is probably a simple question but it has absolutely annoyed me for a week at University (yes, I know, I am still learning this, laugh away).

I am meant to identify the atom/ion and the net charge of it.

This is the information I am given:

Protons: 9
Neutrons: 10
Electrons: 20

The Atomic Number is quite straightforward - 9. Therefore, it is Fluorine. However what I can't figure out is the net charge - is it even possible for a Fluorine atom to gain 11 more electrons if it needs only to remove 2 valence electrons to pursue a full outer shell?

Otherwise, the net charge would be -5, is this right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Procrastinate! :smile:
Procrastinate said:
The Atomic Number is quite straightforward - 9. Therefore, it is Fluorine. However what I can't figure out is the net charge - is it even possible for a Fluorine atom to gain 11 more electrons if it needs only to remove 2 valence electrons to pursue a full outer shell?

Yes, I'd be surprised if you could add that many electrons. :confused:
Otherwise, the net charge would be -5, is this right?

I'm fascinated to know how you got -5. :smile:
 
tiny-tim said:
Hi Procrastinate! :smile:
I'm fascinated to know how you got -5. :smile:

When you add all the electrons, you get a new valence electron number of 5. However, now that I think about it, I did it wrong, so it's net charge would be -3 as it would want to acquire three electrons to attain a full outer shell.

I am not sure if this is right though since I never understood from the beginning if 11 electrons added to a Fluorine atom was logistically possible.
 
No idea what you are calculating. Let's put apart fact that 11 electrons excess is absurd (my guess is that it is a typo, and it was intended to be 10 electrons). What is the definition of a net charge?
 
Borek said:
No idea what you are calculating. Let's put apart fact that 11 electrons excess is absurd (my guess is that it is a typo, and it was intended to be 10 electrons). What is the definition of a net charge?

It would be the overall charge on an atom (after it has been ionised, so it would be called an "ion". So if you had 3 protons and 2 electrons, for example, it would be a +1 charge.