Can we apply the concept of net charge to subatomic particles?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ConfusedRookie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Charge Term
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
ConfusedRookie
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Hello guy, I have questions with the use of the terms "net charge"
As far as I know we use net charge when we want to make a sum of positive charge + negative charge

For example the net charge of Na+ = +11+(-10)= +1
the net charge of Cl- = _______ = -1

But can we use the word net charges on subatomic particles such as protons and neutrons and also electrons !?
A proton has a net charge of 2/3e+ 2/3e- ⅓e= +1e (since it is made of quarks)
A neutron has a net charge of 0 (the same as a proton but the "sum" is zero)
An electron (it's not made up of any quarks according to the theory but I assume we can use say +0e - 1e = -1e.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ConfusedRookie said:
But can we use the word net charges on subatomic particles such as protons and neutrons and also electrons !?

You can indeed.

ConfusedRookie said:
An electron (it's not made up of any quarks according to the theory but I assume we can use say +0e - 1e = -1e.
As far as I know you can. I don't think it makes a difference in the end since your final number is the same. 0e + (-1)e = -1e is the same as -1e.
 
ConfusedRookie said:
An electron (it's not made up of any quarks according to the theory but I assume we can use say +0e - 1e = -1e.
What does the +0e stand for?

I disagree with @Drakkith, and think that you cannot do that. Why not say then that an electron is +5e -6e = -1e?
 
DrClaude said:
I disagree with @Drakkith, and think that you cannot do that. Why not say then that an electron is +5e -6e = -1e?

I suppose you could if you separated the unit of charge from the object possessing it, but that likely causes problems.
 
DrClaude said:
What does the +0e stand for?

I disagree with @Drakkith, and think that you cannot do that. Why not say then that an electron is +5e -6e = -1e?

The main reason is that the proton is made up of quarks and the electron is not. (My opinion)
 
But what does your +0e stand for, with respect to the electron? An electron has no uncharged component.