Net Magnetic Moment on Typical Ferromagnets

In summary, the "net" magnetic moment per atom of a typical ferromagnet crystal can vary depending on the type of atom and its level of localization. For example, Ag, which has a single unpaired electron in an isolated atom, is non-magnetic when in its metallic form. DFT calculations have shown that Fe has a moment of 2.2 Bohr magnetons, but experimental values can be lower, such as 0.8 Bohr magnetons for Cobalt. The degree of localization of orbitals also plays a role in the moment formation, with more localized orbitals having larger moments. For lanthanides and late actinides, the 4f moment is similar to that of an isolated atom due
sokrates
What is the "net" magnetic moment per atom of a typical ferromagnet crystal ? I suspect the number will be different from those of "isolated" atoms because of band formation and spilling...
But I am not very sure, this could be wrong.

Is it 1 Bohr magneton per atom, 10 , 50 more ?

Do you have any ball park numbers on this or references?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, they definitely can be different. A trivial example is Ag, which has a single unpaired electron in an isolated atom, but as metallic silver it is non-magnetic.

I don't know the experimental value, but from a DFT calculation the moment for Fe is 2.2[tex]\mu_B[/tex]. In general, band formation (kinetic energy) competes with moment formation (exchange energy), so more localized orbitals (3d, 4f) tend to have narrower bandwidths and larger moments than less localized ones (4d, 5f).

For lanthanides, because the 4f states form very narrow bands, the 4f moment is about the same as the 4f moment for an isolated atom. IIRC this is true too for late actinides, past Am.

I see...What about Cobalt and other alloys? Is there a tabulated reference where I can look all these up?

Thank you for the enlightening response,

I don't know, I only know the iron value because I recently did the calculation myself. Isolated atoms are pretty well characterized in any of the periodic table websites around the web, but I don't know of any similar database for solids.

kanato said:
Yes, they definitely can be different. A trivial example is Ag, which has a single unpaired electron in an isolated atom, but as metallic silver it is non-magnetic.

I don't know the experimental value,
Turns out that it's a good deal lower than the DFT calculation. Around 0.8 Bohr magnetons, I think. Which is strange. Sorry, OP I don't know of a good general reference. Cheers,

Adam

but from a DFT calculation the moment for Fe is 2.2[tex]\mu_B[/tex]. In general, band formation (kinetic energy) competes with moment formation (exchange energy), so more localized orbitals (3d, 4f) tend to have narrower bandwidths and larger moments than less localized ones (4d, 5f).

For lanthanides, because the 4f states form very narrow bands, the 4f moment is about the same as the 4f moment for an isolated atom. IIRC this is true too for late actinides, past Am.

What is a net magnetic moment?

A net magnetic moment is a measure of the overall magnetic field strength and direction of a material. It is the result of the alignment and sum of individual magnetic moments within the material.

What is a typical ferromagnet?

A typical ferromagnet is a material that exhibits strong and permanent magnetic properties. These materials are composed of atoms with aligned magnetic moments, which allows them to retain a strong magnetic field even after an external magnetic field is removed.

How is the net magnetic moment on a ferromagnet calculated?

The net magnetic moment on a ferromagnet can be calculated by multiplying the magnetic moment of each individual atom by the number of atoms in the material and summing them together. This can also be calculated by measuring the magnetic field strength and direction of the material using specialized instruments.

What factors affect the net magnetic moment on a ferromagnet?

The net magnetic moment on a ferromagnet can be affected by various factors such as temperature, external magnetic fields, and the composition and structure of the material. Changes in these factors can alter the alignment and strength of individual magnetic moments, thus affecting the overall net magnetic moment.

Why is the net magnetic moment on a ferromagnet important?

The net magnetic moment on a ferromagnet is important because it determines the material's ability to produce and maintain a strong magnetic field. This property is utilized in various applications such as in magnetic storage devices, electric motors, and generators.