1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Magnetic moment calculation from curie constant (thought this was easy!)

1. Aug 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Need to calculate magnetic moment of FeRh from the curie constant which was obtained from a linear fit of inverse susceptibility data.

CGS units!

C = 68 (cm3K)/mole
    N = Avogadro constant 6.022E23 atoms/mole
    K = Boltzmann constant 1.38E-16 erg/K
    uB = Bohr magnetons 9.274E-21 erg/G
    ueff = unknown effective magnetic moment

want the solution in terms of bohr magnetons.

Relevant conversion factors:
    erg = 4pi cm3Oe2
    1 G = 4pi Oe

2. Relevant equations

ueff=((3KC)/N)1/2; which simplifies to ueff= 2.84C^(1/2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    ([tex]\frac{3 * 1.38E-16 erg/K * 68 cm3K/mole}{6.022E23atom/mole}[/tex])1/2

= ~24uB.

I expect my solution to be closer to 3.2. Does anyone know if there is something typically done after these sorts of calculations that I need to do?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2015 #2
    X=C/(T-Tc)
    C= (T-Tc)X
    C=(T-Tc)/(1/X)
    C=(T-Tc)/X-1
    C= dT/dX-1
    In X-1 vs T plot fit linear part of plot. Select two points and there by get two values for temperature and two for inverse susceptibility (X-1) then substitute in the above equation to get Curie constant (C). Otherwise find the slope of fitted linear part of the plot and then take reciprocal of the slope that will be curie constant as ber the above equation.
    After knowing Curie constat (C), the effective magnetic moment can be calculated as Ueff = 2.34 sqrt (C)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted