Netflix has a Bird Box problem

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bird Box
In summary, Netflix is pleading with people to stop participating in the dangerous "Bird Box Challenge" where individuals are blindfolding themselves and attempting various tasks, leading to serious injuries. This trend has been compared to the "Darwin Awards" and highlights the danger of blindly following viral trends. It is also a reminder of the power of intelligence over recklessness in stories of heroes such as Perseus.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
Likes Wrichik Basu and russ_watters
Physics news on Phys.org
This kind of reminds me of the Medusa story where to look at the monster will turn you into stone.

I'm worried that someone will do this in a self-driving car or a scooter ride which we've already seen can have disastrous results.

Maybe they should combine this challenge with the ice bucket challenge only who knows what will come out of the ice bucket, water, gatorade, ice, slime ...

Last edited:
But remember, one point of the story was that Perseus was a pretty clever guy. He shined up the inside of his shield so that he could view Medusa the gorgon in its reflection (like a mirror) and therefore knew where to swing his sword.

One of the running themes of stories about heros like Perseus, Odysseus and others was the triumph of brains over brawn.

The Birdbox crew don't seem to strike me as the clever Greek hero type.

diogenesNY

Last edited:
Likes Klystron
I keep telling myself how unbelievably stupid people are more and more often these days. The sad part is, they're going to hurt the people minding their business not stumbling around like blindfolded idiots.

Next-level dumbness.

Likes Wrichik Basu
People are willing to get hurt or die for 15min of fame. Just don't take me with you.

Likes Wrichik Basu

What is "Netflix has a Bird Box problem"?

"Netflix has a Bird Box problem" refers to the controversy surrounding the popular Netflix movie "Bird Box". The film, which features characters navigating the world while blindfolded, has been accused of promoting dangerous behavior, such as the "Bird Box Challenge".

What is the "Bird Box Challenge"?

The "Bird Box Challenge" involves people attempting to perform everyday tasks while blindfolded, mimicking the characters in the movie. This has resulted in numerous injuries and accidents, leading to concerns about the safety and responsibility of the film's message.

What is Netflix doing about the "Bird Box problem"?

Netflix has released a statement urging viewers not to participate in the "Bird Box Challenge" and to always prioritize their safety. They have also asked social media platforms to remove any videos promoting the challenge.

Why is the "Bird Box Challenge" a problem?

The "Bird Box Challenge" is a problem because it encourages dangerous and reckless behavior. Blindfolding oneself while attempting to perform tasks can lead to serious injuries and accidents, and it also disregards the serious issues of mental health and trauma that the film addresses.

What can be learned from the "Netflix has a Bird Box problem" controversy?

The controversy surrounding "Bird Box" highlights the impact and influence of media on society. It also emphasizes the responsibility of content creators to consider the potential consequences of their work and to promote safe and responsible behavior. Additionally, it highlights the importance of critical thinking and not blindly following trends or challenges without considering the potential risks.

Back