Is DSL multiplexed at the remote concentrator box or at the CO?

In summary: TV, the stereo, the router, and my laptop are all sharing the same bandwidth.It sounds like your modem is using a filter to narrow down the signal to the type of modem it is (modem A in this case), but it sounds like this happens automatically without any user interaction.
plain stupid
I have a couple of basic questions/statements which I'm not sure about because I can't find a simple and comprehensive description of some of the basic stuff regarding the physical layer. (I've read the relevant chapters in a couple books like Tanenbaum's, and Kurose & Ross's one, but I couldn't find the pertinent information.)

I'm assuming a usual network topology involving a PC that's connected to modem A which in turn is connected to another modem, B, basically, that resides in an end office (local central office, CO), which (modem B) is connected to a router, which is connected to the internet.

1. Is it true that digital modulation (e.g., FDM, TDM) occurs only between modem A and modem B, wherein a digital signal (in terms of 0's and 1's) coming from the PC is converted to an analog signal, and at modem B it's translated back to those same original bits, propagated across the internet in that form, and then converted back to the analog equivalent at the receiving local loop and at the very end to the digital signal and bits for the receiving PC?
2. During this modulation, let's say FDM, multiple digital signals (coming from multiple modems in the neighborhood of modem A) are multiplexed into one signal until they reach the CO?
3. Supposing the above is true and that FDM is used, do different modems have to use different frequencies? How is this determined?

Wikipedia on multiplexing:
In telephony, a customer's telephone line now typically ends at the remote concentrator box, where it is multiplexed along with other telephone lines for that neighborhood or other similar area. The multiplexed signal is then carried to the central switching office on significantly fewer wires and for much further distances than a customer's line can practically go. This is likewise also true for digital subscriber lines (DSL).

So I assume there's a device there somewhere that "concentrates" these signals into one and decides which signal will have which frequency.

4. If the above is true, I assume the reverse is also true, so when signals are sent back from modem B to the rest of the modems in the neighborhood, among which there's modem A – how does modem A know which signal is intended for it? Does it use a filter corresponding to... which frequency (again not sure where the frequency comes from)?

I apologize if my questions are too stupid; I've been rereading stuff about this online for some time now and I can't find a normal description of this anywhere. If you have any suggestions in that regard (a book or something), let me know.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Technology news on Phys.org
plain stupid said:
I apologize if my questions are too stupid; I've been rereading stuff about this online for some time now and I can't find a normal description of this anywhere.
No need to apologize at all. Your questions are fine, and it looks like you have been putting in the time trying to figure them out on your own. It's all good. :smile:
plain stupid said:
1. Is it true that digital modulation (e.g., FDM, TDM)
Frequency Division Multiplexing (FDM) and Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) are multiplexing techniques, not modulation techniques. Modulation takes an input signal from some source, and converts it into a form that will propagate through some channel well. Modulation techniques like AM, FM, QAM, ODM, etc. Wikipedia is a good source for learning about various modulation techniques.
plain stupid said:
digital signal (in terms of 0's and 1's) coming from the PC is converted to an analog signal, and at modem B it's translated back to those same original bits, propagated across the internet in that form, and then converted back to the analog equivalent at the receiving local loop and at the very end to the digital signal and bits for the receiving PC?
Yes, pretty much, but don't get too hung up in "analog" versus "digital" representations. Pretty much everything in communication channels is analog, but still represents "1s" and "0s". There is also some extra overhead for addressing information, CRC reliability checks, timestamps, etc.
plain stupid said:
4. If the above is true, I assume the reverse is also true, so when signals are sent back from modem B to the rest of the modems in the neighborhood, among which there's modem A – how does modem A know which signal is intended for it? Does it use a filter corresponding to... which frequency (again not sure where the frequency comes from)?
It sounds like a lot of this question revolves around DSL modem access to the Internet from your home:

https://whatis.techtarget.com/reference/Fast-Guide-to-DSL-Digital-Subscriber-Line

DSL is a point-to-point analog modem technology -- each of your neighbors has their own twisted pair cable connecting their DSL modem to the CO's modem for that address. My cable modem access, by contrast, only has a single coax from my house to a local concentrator box by the street, and from there to the main office, the traffic is multiplexed onto a single fiber optic cable (using FDM and TDM together, most likely).

I hope that helps some. Please read a bit more about multiplexing and modulation, and post more questions. We are happy to help on this. :smile:

EDIT/ADD -- I just saw this in your post. I'm no expert in DSL (a good friend of mine was one of the analog EEs who helped to design the modems for early DSL systems), but this is not my experience with DSL (including a recent experinece). The distance from the CO determines whether your DSL connection has a good enough S/N ratio to give you viable Internet speed, not the distance from your home to some wonderful concentrator near you. DSL works okay until you move into the hills, far away from the nearest CO, in my experience...

plain stupid said:
Wikipedia on multiplexing:
In telephony, a customer's telephone line now typically ends at the remote concentrator box, where it is multiplexed along with other telephone lines for that neighborhood or other similar area. The multiplexed signal is then carried to the central switching office on significantly fewer wires and for much further distances than a customer's line can practically go. This is likewise also true for digital subscriber lines (DSL).

Last edited:
Likes lomidrevo

What is the physical layer in networking?

The physical layer is the first layer in the OSI model of networking. It is responsible for establishing, maintaining, and terminating physical connections between devices. It deals with the transmission and reception of raw data bits over a communication channel.

What are the main functions of the physical layer?

The main functions of the physical layer include encoding and decoding data into signals, modulation and demodulation of signals for transmission, line coding, and physical transmission of data through the use of cables, connectors, and other hardware components.

What are the different types of physical layer technologies?

The physical layer can utilize various technologies such as Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, DSL, fiber optics, and more. These technologies differ in terms of speed, range, and other capabilities, but they all serve the purpose of transmitting data at the physical layer.

How does the physical layer ensure reliable data transmission?

The physical layer uses techniques such as error detection and correction, signal amplification, and noise reduction to ensure reliable data transmission. It also establishes and maintains a communication link between devices to ensure data is transmitted accurately and efficiently.

What is the role of the physical layer in network performance?

The physical layer plays a crucial role in network performance as it directly affects the speed, quality, and reliability of data transmission. A well-functioning physical layer is essential for a network to operate smoothly and efficiently.