Did a Clock Error Make Neutrinos Appear Faster Than Light?

In summary, the discussion revolved around the possibility of neutrinos traveling faster than light and whether this was actually true. One theory proposed was that the discrepancy in timing between the clocks used at CERN and Grand Sasso, where the neutrinos were being fired, could have led to the false perception of faster-than-light travel. This theory was further supported by the findings of systematic errors in the experiment.
dart plegius
Neutrinos faster than light SOLVED ?

Heya all,

I was thinking about the neutrinos going faster than light (yes, it has been some time ago), and thought, on Einstein's side, that they couldn't have. So I conjured something up.

What if the clocks they used were not on equal, because of the miniscule delay in time? It could explain why they seemed to beat the speed of light. Let me explain:

For example, they set their clocks straight by means of an electrical signal signalling 12 o' clock. The clock at CERN sends this signal to Grand Sasso (I don't know the name of the place), and arrives there slightly later, saying it should be 12 o' clock. The clock at GS takes this.

Next, the neutrinos are fired at say 1 o' clock. The GS clock records the neutrinos fired at only slightly before 1 o' clock. They arrive (which would be in accordance with Einstein) slightly later than 1 o' clock on the GS clock. Due to the neutrinos having this extra miniscule time, they seemed to have traveled faster than light, whilst actually the clocks were wrong.

This is just something I thought of, and thought I'd also give you some food for thought.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please read our guidelines for this forum:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=593815

Also see the very long thread here (in our relativity forum) about the experiment:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=532620

Somewhere near the end you will find out about the sources of systematic error that the experimenters themselves finally found.

1. What is the significance of neutrinos traveling faster than the speed of light?

The speed of light, also known as the speed limit of the universe, has been a fundamental law of physics for over a century. If neutrinos were found to travel faster than this speed, it would challenge our current understanding of the laws of physics and potentially open up new possibilities for space travel and communication.

2. How were neutrinos initially thought to be faster than light?

In 2011, the OPERA experiment at CERN reported results that suggested neutrinos traveled faster than light. This was based on a measurement of the time it took for neutrinos to travel from CERN in Switzerland to the Gran Sasso laboratory in Italy, a distance of 730 kilometers.

3. What was the outcome of further experiments and research on neutrinos travelling faster than light?

After the initial reports, many scientists from around the world conducted their own experiments and analyses to try and replicate the results. However, all subsequent experiments have confirmed that neutrinos do not travel faster than the speed of light. The original results were due to a faulty connection in the equipment used for the measurement.

4. Can neutrinos ever travel faster than the speed of light?

Based on our current understanding of physics, it is highly unlikely that neutrinos can travel faster than the speed of light. The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe and breaking this limit would require a significant revision of our current laws of physics.

5. How does this affect our understanding of the universe?

The fact that neutrinos do not travel faster than light does not significantly impact our understanding of the universe. However, it does reinforce the principles of the theory of relativity and the speed of light as a fundamental limit. It also highlights the importance of rigorous experimentation and peer review in the scientific process.

Back