Never been a fan of Eurovision

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fan
In summary, Daniel thinks the Eurovision Song Contest is a useless political opinion poll and the songs tend to be rubbish. He also thinks that the European Union has been working together with Russia and Ukraine recently and that it's all been propaganda.
ramollari said:
I agree Monique that the votes were often based on vicinity or good political relationships, but not the majority of them. How could one imagine that Turkey gives maximum votes for Greece, for example? How did Malta gain all those votes?
Btw the songs from Germany, France, Netherlands and UK were really bad this year.

edited

Because turkey wants to enter the EU and thus has to pretend that the people there like greece.
And the song from UK was good, sung by a good looking girl, and I thought it sounded very similar to the one sung by the greek girl.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
plus said:
Because greece wants to enter the EU and thus has to pretend that the people there like greece.

Silly comment!

plus said:
And the song from UK was good, sung by a good looking girl, and I thought it sounded very similar to the one sung by the greek girl.

It sucked in terms of originality and scenography, as usual, which is probably why people didn't vote for it.

ramollari said:
It sucked in terms of originality and scenography, as usual, which is probably why people didn't vote for it.

If this is true, then so did the greek one as it was similar.

The greeks just profited out of the corrupt voting structure.

Please prove your corruptness hypothesis.

The reason why neighbouring countries tend to vote highly for each other, is that they have approximately the same musical taste (or lack of it, IMO).

If you do a solid analysis of the voting history, I predict you'll find the following clusters of countries tending to give other members of its own cluster high scores:

1. Uk&Ireland
2. Germany, Netherlands, Austria
3. Belgium, Luxembourg, France
4. Spain, Portugal
5. Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland
6. Greece&Cyprus&Israel
7. Eastern European countries.

Last edited:
I think Belgium has a history of giving the Netherlands maximum points.

arildno said:
Please prove your corruptness hypothesis.

The reason why neighbouring countries tend to vote highly for each other, is that they have approximately the same musical taste (or lack of it, IMO).

If you do a solid analysis of the voting history, I predict you'll find the following clusters of countries tending to give other members of its own cluster high scores:

1. Uk&Ireland
2. Germany, Netherlands, Austria
3. Belgium, Luxembourg, France
4. Spain, Portugal
5. Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland
6. Greece&Cyprus&Israel
7. Eastern European countries.

You just proved it.

I don't see why greece and cyprus would be with israel, apart from the relatively insignificant fact that they used to be run by the arabs.
UK probably got votes from ireland due to the fact that the irish watch the bbc and thus would have known the uk singer. This is a pretty insignificant grouping.
I don't exactly think the netherlands and germany would vote for each other, and due to the fact that uk got nil points a couple of years ago and germany only a couple this time, these blocks certainly cannot be relied upon to give votes the same way that greece and cyprus give each other votes.

The clusters might be somewhat different than the groupings I made, but the fact that musical tastes (or lack of it) tend to be similar in neighbouring countries has nothing to do with corruption.

plus said:
UK probably got votes from ireland due to the fact that the irish watch the bbc and thus would have known the uk singer. This is a pretty insignificant grouping.

The BBC isn't screened in the Republic of Ireland.

It's just about voting for your neighbours, and it always has been really. Just look at the Scandinavian countries, and the Balkan states. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the voting system, but it does make you wonder. Neighbouring countries often have similar musical tastes, but Eurovision has never really been much of a showcase of good music now has it?

Well, there are a lot of people in every country who actually like this type of music and rush to their phones in order to vote for the songs they like best.

I don't understand such people; do they have some sort of genetic defect? :confused:

brewnog said:
The BBC isn't screened in the Republic of Ireland.

The BBC receives many viewers in the republic of ireland. Most households receive it, although some refuse out of principle.