New guy here looking for advice

In summary: This is especially true for positions in engineering where the skillset and experience for a Mechanical Engineer may be vastly different than what is needed for an Electrical Engineer.
x14ace
Hello everyone,

Just saying what's up. I guess if I'm posting in here I'll ask something and see what happens. Anyone think its possible to get an associates degree in mechanical engineering, then go straight into finding ways to get experience and work up from there and still be successful as an engineer? I don't want to put more time or money into school. I feel like I could use the 2 more years it would take to get the bachelor's degree to actually do something with my life. I'm not sure exactly what I want to do yet, I just want to continue expanding my knowledge and be ready for any opportunities that come my way. It would be cool to do research on something people don't know about yet or I'd like to just have my own business and design everything about it but any suggestions on places to start? I know it might be hard but I know I will put in as much work as it would take.

Physics news on Phys.org
x14ace said:
Hello everyone,

Just saying what's up. I guess if I'm posting in here I'll ask something and see what happens. Anyone think its possible to get an associates degree in mechanical engineering, then go straight into finding ways to get experience and work up from there and still be successful as an engineer? I don't want to put more time or money into school. I feel like I could use the 2 more years it would take to get the bachelor's degree to actually do something with my life. I'm not sure exactly what I want to do yet, I just want to continue expanding my knowledge and be ready for any opportunities that come my way. It would be cool to do research on something people don't know about yet or I'd like to just have my own business and design everything about it but any suggestions on places to start? I know it might be hard but I know I will put in as much work as it would take.

It would be impossible to become certified as a Professional Engineer. Take this with a grain of salt too, but it would probably be very difficult to find a job as some sort of engineer, as you'd be competing against actual engineers.

Anyway, that said, I don't think it's even possible to get an associates degree in mechanical engineering.

axmls said:
I don't think it's even possible to get an associates degree in mechanical engineering

A Google search for "associates degree mechanical engineering" turns up a lot of hits for associates (2-year) degrees in mechanical engineering technology. Whether this plus a lot of work experience is enough to get a "real engineering" job, I'll leave to people who actually know something about engineering careers to comment on.

Likes x14ace
Hi obviously don't know your background. But doing a degree in mech eng is doing something with your life (IMHO), if engineering is what interests you. If you are concerned about missing 2 years experience do it part time. Going to college and interacting with other students and lectures also gives one perspective of what's going on in your respective field.
If nothing else working full time and studying part time will quickly show you what it takes to start your own business, except you will be much more stressed out running a business.
The tricky thing about doing something nobody else is doing, should be obvious. The Internet proves that a heck of a lot of what you thought was new/unique is already being done somewhere. That's not to say you can't do it anyway and expand/improve on it.
Good luck with your endeavours.

Likes x14ace
I would say that many job posting will require a Bachelor's Degree and if you don't have it your resume goes in the trash, regardless of how qualified you may be.

1. How can I quickly adapt to a new laboratory environment?

One of the best ways to quickly adapt to a new laboratory environment is to familiarize yourself with the lab's protocols, procedures, equipment, and safety guidelines. You can also ask your colleagues for advice and guidance, and take the time to observe and learn from them. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask questions and seek clarification when needed.

2. What are some tips for building good relationships with my fellow lab members?

Building good relationships with your fellow lab members is important for a positive and productive work environment. Some tips for doing so include being respectful and considerate of others, communicating effectively, being open to feedback and constructive criticism, and offering to help when you can.

3. How can I stay organized and manage my time effectively in the lab?

Staying organized and managing your time effectively in the lab is crucial for success. Some strategies for doing so include creating a schedule or to-do list, setting priorities, breaking down tasks into smaller, manageable chunks, and utilizing tools such as lab notebooks and calendars. It's also important to maintain a clean and organized workspace.

4. What should I do if I make a mistake in the lab?

Mistakes are a natural part of the learning process, and it's important to handle them properly in a laboratory setting. If you make a mistake, don't panic and notify your supervisor immediately. Take responsibility for your actions and work with your colleagues to find a solution. It's also important to learn from your mistakes and take steps to prevent them from happening again in the future.

5. How can I continue to learn and improve as a scientist?

Continuing to learn and improve is essential for success as a scientist. Some ways to do this include staying updated on current research and technologies in your field, attending conferences and workshops, networking with other scientists, and actively seeking out new learning opportunities. It's also important to seek feedback and reflect on your own work to identify areas for improvement.