1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New introductory book on supersymmetry

1. Jan 2, 2010 #1

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I hope it's ok to post this here.

I have written an introductory book on supersymmetry, which assumes only some basic knowledge in quantum field theory. I made it as detailed and pedagogical as possible. Basically I wrote the book that I wish had been available when I first learned SUSY. The title is Supersymmetry Demystified.

You can view a detailed Table of contents (giving all the sections) at

https://www.amazon.com/Supersymmetr...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262469533&sr=1-1

Just click on "Read More" in the blog entry.

Patrick

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2010 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try posting the link again - it gives a 404 error for me.

4. Jan 2, 2010 #3
  5. Jan 2, 2010 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congrats, Patrick!

I am going to order a copy.

6. Jan 2, 2010 #5

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

7. Jan 2, 2010 #6

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8. Jan 2, 2010 #7

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hey! Thank you, George.

I am glad to know that you found a position in Canada! (By the way, you might remember me from your time at Bishop's!)

Best regards,

Patrick

9. Jan 11, 2010 #8
    I found a copy at the local Borders and started reading it. On my own, I found the two errata mentioned in the blog, so when I read about them in the blog, I felt pretty good about it. I found another insignificant typo and a statement worthy of comment. I will write these up when I get further along. I read enough to decide that I wanted to read the entire book, so I bought it. My daughter works there as a barista, so I got a good discount.

10. Jan 13, 2010 #9

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thank you for your input and for getting the book :-)
    I am glad to know that it's available at Borders.

You are lucky to be able to get discounts at Borders!

Patrick

11. Jan 13, 2010 #10

blechman

Science Advisor

congrats on the new book. i'll keep an eye out for it.

12. Jan 13, 2010 #11

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Congrats, Patrick. That is a good series of books, and I'll keep my eyes out for yours.

Now we wait for books by George Jones, blechman and others. :biggrin: :approve:

13. Jan 13, 2010 #12

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks! But it is far too introductory to be of any intereste to you. My goal was to offer a gentle introduction, assuming only some basic quantum field theory as background. A kind of bridge between, say, Peskin and Schroeder and available books on SUSY such as the ones by Weinberg, Baer and Tata, Dine, Binétruy, etc.
    So it is far too simple to be of any interest to you! So you should not buy it.
    But thanks for the congratulations!

14. Jan 14, 2010 #13

blechman

Science Advisor

My adviser once told me (and his adviser told him) that "how much you know about something is inversely proportional to the number of textbooks you have on the subject!" That being said, you'd probably be shocked at how many SUSY books I own!!

I do have students who need to learn SUSY, though. I'd spare them the "Triale By Fiere!" that is Wess&Bagger! :wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook