Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New little ice age?

1. Apr 24, 2008 #1

Gold Member

The Younger Dryas occurred at a time when orbital forcing should have continued to drive climate to the present warm state. The unexplained phenomenon has been the topic of much intense scientific debate, as well as other millennial scale events.

Now an 11-year low in Sunspot activity has raised fears among a small number of scientists that rather than getting warmer, the Earth could possibly be about to return to another cooling period. The idea is especially intriguing considering that most of the world is in preparation for global warming. Could we be preparing for the wrong scenario?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2008 #2
    Your link won't work here, I'm afraid Wolram. So I have to limit my reaction to the apparent quote.

It will probably take another generation to understand the Younger Dryas. A period allegedly of intense cold between about 12,900 or 12,670 and 11,560 years ago. Even the starting period is subject to debate. Some researches doubt the "cold" character, but not when challenged officially.

The most unnoticed thing however is the exceptional agited reaction (or cause) of the oceans in this period, disdaining the usual inertial delay of the ocean. That's the thing to investigate.

Investigation has been done to the position of the planets in relation of the solar motion around it's barycentre. If that mechanism is indeed related to the sunspot activity then a new sunspot minimum could be expected around 2025-2030 according to late Theodore Landscheid like the Maunder and Dalton minimum a few centuries ago. Then, if this minimum is related to the lower temperatures of the little ice ages, a new minimum could be forecasted.

So if it happens, it will be termed "Landscheidt minimum". However, we still need to see if it has anything to do with climate. Of course the proof is in the pudding. Just wait and see.
  4. Apr 25, 2008 #3

Gold Member

The “Little Ice Age” Argument Makes a Comeback: Abrupt Climate Change Goes Both Ways, Warns Scientist Powered by BlogBurst
    POSTED: Thursday, April 24, 2008

That is strange the page will load but is lacking story. click on science in left hand coulomb
    and scroll down.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  5. Apr 25, 2008 #4
    Thanks Wolram, btw coulomb is the unit of electrical charge. But it's in the column.

Let's focus on the closing remarks:

Couldn't agree more. Absolutely to bad that this isn't the last sentence.

A general misconception. 'don't care' equals not sceptism. She would be very surprized to see how many sceptics actually care a lot. Especially about having the right picture and doing the right thing.

The biggest mistake. If your perception of reality is wrong you are bound to take the wrong decisions, the results of which are going to cost dearly, biofuel crop for instance. Also, people don't like being fooled. As soon as it is clear that no catastrophic warming is going to happen anytime, there will be lot of important people very unamused.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  6. Apr 25, 2008 #5

Gold Member

Thanks Wolram, btw coulomb is the unit of electrical charge. But it's in the column.

Well the column was generated electronically.

I think i see some of the strings of the consensus fuzz ball unraveling, i not sure if any of them will know if their predictions are correct until a major event happens, but for sure the are right about pollution.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?