Are there any recent advances in Maths that have real world applications?

In summary, the conversation discusses recent advances in Maths that have real world applications and are not just algorithmic improvements for speed. One such advance is the use of wavelets, which has revolutionized the field of data processing and made images and movies more compact. This is still a popular area of research and the idea behind wavelets is simple yet effective. There is also a question about using wavelets to construct time-series, similar to how Fourier transform is used. Another suggestion is made about cryptography and percolation theory is mentioned as a potential application.
Gerenuk
Can you think of some recent advances in Maths (i.e. an physics undergrad won't know) that are at least vaguely related to some real world applications (i.e. life would be harder without them)?
Some new tools, tricks or methods?
Maybe some new concept apart from algorithmic improvements for speed.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Wavelets. It basically revolutionized the field of data processing, and it caused images and movies to take up less space.

It's still a very, very, very popular area of research!

Thanks. Interesting!
I once read something about basic wavelets and it seemed a simple idea. But I guess I have to read more about it.
Good suggestion :)

Does anyone know if i can construct-compose time-series consist of wavlets? e.g. if i have as data a characteristic wave height and a wave length i can produce time-series with Fourier transform which equals of a superposition of sinus waves. i want to do the same but with wavelets. possible?

Gerenuk: cryptography?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percolation_theory"

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Are there any recent advances in Maths that have real world applications?

1. What is "New Maths for applications"?

"New Maths for applications" refers to the application of mathematics to solve real-world problems and challenges. It involves using mathematical theories, models, and techniques to analyze data, make predictions, and inform decision-making in various fields such as economics, engineering, and science.

2. How is "New Maths for applications" different from traditional math?

Traditional math focuses on abstract concepts and theories, while "New Maths for applications" emphasizes the practical application of math in real-world scenarios. It also incorporates interdisciplinary approaches and often involves collaboration with other fields such as computer science and data analysis.

3. What are the key skills needed for "New Maths for applications"?

The key skills needed for "New Maths for applications" include a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and the ability to apply mathematical concepts to real-world situations. It also requires proficiency in computer programming and data analysis.

4. How is "New Maths for applications" relevant in today's world?

"New Maths for applications" is highly relevant in today's world as it helps us understand and analyze complex data, make accurate predictions, and inform decision-making in various industries. It also plays a crucial role in advancements in technology, science, and economics.

5. What are some examples of "New Maths for applications" in action?

Examples of "New Maths for applications" in action include using mathematical models to predict stock market trends, using data analysis to improve healthcare outcomes, and using optimization techniques to streamline supply chain management. It is also used in developing artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms.

Back