1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Maths for applications

1. Aug 1, 2011 #1
    Can you think of some recent advances in Maths (i.e. an physics undergrad won't know) that are at least vaguely related to some real world applications (i.e. life would be harder without them)?
    Some new tools, tricks or methods?
    Maybe some new concept apart from algorithmic improvements for speed.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Wavelets. It basically revolutionized the field of data processing, and it caused images and movies to take up less space.

It's still a very, very, very popular area of research!!

4. Aug 2, 2011 #3
    Thanks. Interesting!
    I once read something about basic wavelets and it seemed a simple idea. But I guess I have to read more about it.
    Good suggestion :)

5. Nov 15, 2011 #4
    Does anyone know if i can construct-compose time-series consist of wavlets? e.g. if i have as data a characteristic wave height and a wave length i can produce time-series with Fourier transform which equals of a superposition of sinus waves. i want to do the same but with wavelets. possible?

6. Nov 16, 2011 #5
    Gerenuk: cryptography?

7. Nov 16, 2011 #6
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percolation_theory" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook