What is the TIS-100 programming puzzle game?

In summary, there is a new programming puzzle game on Steam called TIS-100 that offers interesting challenges due to its machine constraints. Players must use a grid of nodes and basic instructions to optimize and balance cycle count, instruction count, and node usage. The game has the potential to be addictive.
DavidSnider
Gold Member
I came across this new programming puzzle game on steam.
http://www.zachtronics.com/tis-100/

The constraints of the machine make for some interesting programming puzzles.
You get a grid of nodes. Each node can execute 10 or so really basic instructions (MOV, ADD, SUB, JMP, SAVE, SWAP). You only have one primary register and a "backup" register that can't be read from or written to directly but only swapped with with the primary register. You can also move data to IO ports connecting to adjacent nodes. The points are based on how well you optimize and balance cycle count, instruction count and node usage.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Oh no. This is just the kind of thing that can get me addicted to it. :wideeyed:

1. What is "New Programming Puzzle game"?

"New Programming Puzzle game" is a recently developed video game that combines elements of programming and puzzle solving. Players must use their coding skills to solve challenges and progress through the game.

2. What programming languages are used in "New Programming Puzzle game"?

The game currently supports Java, Python, and C++ as programming languages. However, more languages may be added in future updates.

3. Is "New Programming Puzzle game" suitable for beginners?

Yes, the game is designed for both beginners and experienced programmers. It offers a variety of levels with increasing difficulty, allowing players to improve their coding skills as they progress.

4. Can I play "New Programming Puzzle game" on any device?

The game is currently available for desktop computers and laptops. However, plans for mobile versions are in development and will be released in the near future.

5. Are there any multiplayer features in "New Programming Puzzle game"?

No, the game is currently single player only. However, there are plans to add multiplayer capabilities in future updates, allowing players to compete or collaborate with others.

Back