Why Is My Circuit Showing Higher Current Than Expected?

• Thread starter driedupsharpie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the conversation is about a person's first post on the forums where they are seeking help with understanding the unexpected readings they are getting while setting up simple circuits in their college lab. They are questioning the accuracy of their voltage, current, and resistance measurements and are seeking suggestions on how to troubleshoot the issue. Other users suggest using Ohm's Law as a reliable foundation for understanding electronics.
driedupsharpie
My first post on the forums, go easy on me...

So I'm getting a feel for the new lab my college has and all of the equipment in it so I thought I'd set up some VERY simple circuits just to get used to some of the DC power sources (there are a few different ones).

No matter what I do though, the current always seems to be slightly HIGHER than the expected value coming from the given voltage and resistance.

For example: I'll set up V = 10v R = 10Ω and get values above the expected (slightly)
I'll hit 1 amp @ 9.8 volts
I hit 1.1 amps @ 10.75 volts
I hit 1.2 amps at 11.7 volts

Any idea what seems to be causing this simulated lower resistance?

Physics news on Phys.org
driedupsharpie said:
No matter what I do though...

Including measuring the same setup with a different voltmeter and ammeter? And trying different 10 ohm resistors?

A 9.8 ohm resistor? Obviously the voltage, current, or resistance measurements are incorrect, or any combination of the three. Not that I'm really telling you anything you don't already know. :) Are there any lab standards, recently calibrated supplies or meters, 1% or 0.1% resistors. Is your lab near the Mystery Spot in Santa Cruz California?

driedupsharpie, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Both Nugatory and meBigGuy have offered good suggestions to explain your unexpected readings. My suggestion is this: When just starting out in electronics place your trust...all your trust...in Ohm's Law! It has held true in every single test ever performed with it so far. So, there is some inaccuracy in your setup: either the current reading, the voltage reading, or the resistance value is faulty. One of these is giving you "unexpected results".

Now, once you discover that Ohm's Law is reliable, you may continue onward to more complex circuits knowing that the fundamentals are totally under control. This is the foundation you rest on while ascending the complexity ladder of electronics.

Cheers, Bobbywhy

I would first suggest checking the accuracy and calibration of the equipment being used. It is possible that the power sources or resistors have slight variations or errors, leading to the unexpected current values. It may also be helpful to try different combinations of voltage and resistance to see if the trend persists. Additionally, if the equipment is new, it is possible that there is a learning curve for using it correctly and obtaining accurate results. I would also recommend consulting with a lab instructor or experienced colleague for their input and troubleshooting suggestions.

1. What is an unusual current?

An unusual current refers to an electrical current that deviates from the normal or expected flow. It could be caused by various factors such as equipment malfunction, fluctuations in power supply, or external interference.

2. How do you identify an unusual current?

An unusual current can be identified through monitoring and analyzing the flow of electricity in a circuit or system. This can be done using specialized equipment and techniques such as power quality analysis or thermal imaging.

3. What are the potential consequences of an unusual current?

The consequences of an unusual current can range from minor disruptions and damage to equipment to serious safety hazards. It can also lead to power outages, fires, or even explosions in extreme cases.

4. How can an unusual current be prevented?

Preventing an unusual current involves proper maintenance and inspection of electrical systems, identifying and addressing any underlying issues, and implementing safety measures such as surge protectors and grounding techniques. It is also important to follow electrical codes and regulations to prevent potential hazards.

5. What should I do if I encounter an unusual current?

If you encounter an unusual current, it is important to first ensure your safety by turning off the power and avoiding contact with any equipment or wires. Then, it is best to consult a professional electrician or contact your local power company for assistance in identifying and resolving the issue.