Uniform Circular Motion & Gravity: A Connection?

In summary, there is a connection between uniform circular motion and gravity, as a body in circular motion exerts a constant centripetal accelerating force, similar to the force of gravity. However, gravity is not only created by the rotation of a large mass, as even stationary objects have a gravitational force. This force is caused by the mass of an object and is responsible for gravitational acceleration. Centripetal acceleration, on the other hand, is a result of the tangential velocity vector of a swinging mass changing direction. Therefore, it is not considered gravity, as it would go in the wrong direction.
Neosym87
Is it just me, or is there a huge connection between Uniform Circular Motion and Gravity?

A body of mass caught in uniform circular motion exerts a constant centripetal accelerating force, does it not? I don't know if it's just me, but that sounds like the exact description of gravity. So, I suppose, my proposition is, Is gravity created( so to speak ) when a large body of mass begins to rotate at a certain high speed or velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, objects that do not even move have a gravitational force associated with them. Also, a mass in orbit is accelerating outwards as opposed to gravity pulling things towards the mass.

Do not confuse acceleration with gravitational acceleration . Bodies have mass and it is this mass that causes an attractive force between two objects. This attractive force, due to mass, is responsible for gravitational acceleration.

In your circular motion example, it is the motion of the object that causes a centripital acceleration. It does not have to do with the attraction between two masses, it is a result of the tangential velocity vector of the swinging mass changing direction; therefore, it is not gravity.

Last edited:
Your gravity would go in the wrong direction.

Related to Uniform Circular Motion & Gravity: A Connection?

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object's velocity is always changing, but the magnitude of its velocity remains the same.

2. How is gravity related to uniform circular motion?

Gravity is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In uniform circular motion, the object is constantly accelerating towards the center of the circle due to the force of gravity.

3. What is the centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In uniform circular motion, this force is provided by gravity, tension, or any other force that acts towards the center of the circle.

4. How does the radius of the circle affect the speed in uniform circular motion?

The speed of an object in uniform circular motion is directly proportional to the radius of the circle. This means that as the radius increases, the speed also increases, and as the radius decreases, the speed decreases.

5. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and simple harmonic motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed, while simple harmonic motion is when an object moves back and forth along a straight line at a constant speed. In uniform circular motion, the object's acceleration is always perpendicular to its velocity, while in simple harmonic motion, the object's acceleration is always directed towards the equilibrium position.