New to Planes, understanding them.

• Thread starter DOCMUR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planes
In summary, planes are 2D sections of grid that have no thickness and cannot exist in real space. However, they are used in math to help visualize and solve problems, such as calculating the surface area of a sphere. Paint cans also use 2D measurements to determine the amount of paint needed for a given surface area.
DOCMUR
Hello

I'm a grade 12 math student at WCI and I need some help with planes.
As I understand it planes are 2D sections of grid. 2D sections of grid can't exist in real space because they have no thickness. How can anyone need to use something that has no thickness, why can we ever imagine it.

Physics news on Phys.org
it's just like a line. a cube has length, width & depth. a plane has length & width, but no depth. a line only has length, no width or depth. a point doesn't have anything.

think of it as a thin imaginary sheet of space dividing one side of a 3 dimensional space from another.

think of it this way:

say i have a sphere made of metal. i want to paint the surface of that sphere, but i want to know exactly how much paint i will need. well, the amount of paint that i need will be equal to the surface area of the sphere.

notice that the surface giving me my surface area is 2D. Of course, the paint will have some thickness, but the surface area does not.

so there is a real-life situation where 2D works. on paint cans you will usually find a table showing how much paint you will need (volume) for such-and-such square feet (area).

Related to New to Planes, understanding them.

What is the difference between a plane and a helicopter?

A plane is a fixed-wing aircraft that uses forward motion and lift generated by its wings to stay in the air. A helicopter, on the other hand, uses rotating blades to generate lift and can hover in place.

How do planes fly?

Planes fly by utilizing the principles of lift and thrust. The wings of a plane are designed to create lift, which counteracts the force of gravity and keeps the plane in the air. Thrust, generated by the plane's engines, is what propels the plane forward.

What is the purpose of flaps and slats on a plane?

Flaps and slats are movable surfaces on the wings of a plane that can be extended or retracted. They are used to change the shape of the wing and increase lift during takeoff and landing, allowing the plane to fly at slower speeds and make steeper descents.

What are the main components of a plane?

The main components of a plane include the fuselage, wings, engines, landing gear, and control surfaces such as ailerons, elevators, and rudder. The fuselage is the main body of the plane, while the wings provide lift. The engines provide thrust, and the landing gear allows the plane to take off and land. The control surfaces help the pilot maneuver the plane.

What are the four forces that act on a plane during flight?

The four forces are lift, weight, thrust, and drag. Lift is the upward force that keeps the plane in the air, weight is the downward force due to gravity, thrust is the forward force provided by the engines, and drag is the force that resists the forward motion of the plane.