Can You Learn Astrophysics Without a Formal Education?

• Thread starter CosmicTroll
  • Start date
In summary, it is possible to learn astrophysics without a formal education, but it requires a strong passion and dedication to self-study and constantly expanding one's knowledge. There are many resources available, such as online courses, books, and lectures, that can help individuals gain a basic understanding of astrophysics. However, a formal education provides a more comprehensive and structured approach to learning this complex subject, as well as access to advanced research and hands-on experience. Ultimately, whether or not one can successfully learn astrophysics without a formal education depends on their individual learning style and determination.
CosmicTroll
Hi! I just found out about this website. I haven't been to college for any type of physics or anything like that, though I'm extremely interested in Astrophysics and that entire field of study. I most likely won't be commenting on many things, though I'll definitely be looking through and learning! And don't worry, my name doesn't mean that I'm a "forum troll" or anything like that. It's just a nickname given to me by a few friends.

Likes Clever Penguin
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Please take some time to read our rules (see link below) and remember that we are volunteers here who support students learning STEM subjects. Also we don't discuss personal theories or speculative science.

CosmicTroll said:
Hi! I just found out about this website. I haven't been to college for any type of physics or anything like that, though I'm extremely interested in Astrophysics and that entire field of study. I most likely won't be commenting on many things, though I'll definitely be looking through and learning! And don't worry, my name doesn't mean that I'm a "forum troll" or anything like that. It's just a nickname given to me by a few friends.

Welcome to PF!
:welcome:
Nice to meet someone who is also extremely interested in Astrophysics!