1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New to the method of steepest descent

1. Oct 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm new to this approximation method and was wondering the best way to proceed with this function:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} dx e^{\frac{ax^{2}}{2}}e^{ln[2cosh(b+cx)]} [/tex]

I've found the saddle point (I think). But I was wondering if it would be best to expand the x squared term or the ln(cosh) term. If the latter, should I expand the cosh as a taylor series to get ln(expanded cosh) and then expand the logarithm (of the expanded cosh?) and simplify the result?.

Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2
    Sorry--I'm not quite sure what the problem you're trying to answer is.

4. Oct 30, 2011 #3
    I'm not quite sure how to integraye this function using the method of steepest descent. Usually you have a function of a complex variable, which this is not.

And often examples show only one exponential function where I have a product of two, so I'm not 100% which is the more rapidly varying one (i.e. which function do I expand as a Taylor series).

I went ahead and worked with the ln(cosh) function, and calculated its derivatives to get the Taylor series to 2nd order. Now I'm not sure how to move forward? Do I just integrate or do I need to substitute complex variables?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook