Newton's II frcitionless surface, constant velocity, angle of incline

In summary: The rest is just breaking things down and applying the proper considerations and solving for what you need.
freq_mod

Homework Statement

A physics student playing with an air hockey table (a frictionless surface) finds that if she gives the puck a velocity of 3.79 m/s along the length ( 1.84 m) of the table at one end, by the time it has reached the other end the puck has drifted a distance 2.47 cm to the right but still has a velocity component along the length of 3.79 m/s. She concludes correctly that the table is not level and correctly calculates its inclination from the above information.

Homework Equations

x=x0+vx0t+1/2at2, since acceleration is constant
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

vx0=3.8m/s
x=1.75m, x0=0
vx=x/t

y=.025m

This is as far as I get. Setting up the problem is my main issue with this.I actually know the answer to this because I purchased the solutions manual. But, I do not understand it. Working on my own, I am still unclear about the mathematical relationship between this problem and Newton's II.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You know the time that it drifts by is 1.84/3.79 seconds.

So using that time and the drift ...

.0247 m = 1/2*a*t2

The angle then you know from gravity makes a = g*sinθ

Thanks...i appreciate the help. it's starting to make sense. You are using the acceleration of g and the lateral acceleration of the drift to find the angle. Then substituting those values into the constant acceleration equation. Hopefully, I will get to the point where I'm able to make these connections between equations.

freq_mod said:
Thanks...i appreciate the help. it's starting to make sense. You are using the acceleration of g and the lateral acceleration of the drift to find the angle. Then substituting those values into the constant acceleration equation. Hopefully, I will get to the point where I'm able to make these connections between equations.

There's no real trick to it. The vertical dimension is accelerated. The horizontal ones are not, as long as you are moving along equipotential surfaces, i.e. like at the same height. Time of course runs the same in all dimensions. The rest is just breaking things down and applying the proper considerations and solving for what you need.

Regardless though Good luck with it.

1. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. What is a frictionless surface?

A frictionless surface is one that has no resistance or friction to the movement of an object. This means that the object can move without any external forces acting against it, such as friction or air resistance.

3. How does a constant velocity affect an object on an incline?

A constant velocity means that the object is moving at a constant speed in a specific direction. When an object is on an incline, the force of gravity acts on it, causing it to accelerate. However, if the object is moving at a constant velocity, this means that the force of gravity and any other forces acting on the object are balanced, resulting in a constant speed.

4. What is the angle of incline?

The angle of incline refers to the angle at which a surface is tilted or inclined. This angle affects the force of gravity acting on an object on the surface, and can impact the object's motion.

5. How does Newton's Second Law apply to an object on a frictionless surface with a constant velocity?

On a frictionless surface with a constant velocity, the net force acting on the object is zero, as there is no friction or external forces acting on it. Therefore, according to Newton's Second Law, the acceleration of the object is also zero, and it will continue to move at a constant velocity in the same direction.