Newton's law of cooling for corpse

In summary: Assuming the body is a cylinder, R = l / A k, where l is the body's length, A is its cross-sectional area and k is its thermal conductivity. The heat capacity, C, can be estimated as the heat capacity of water times the body's mass. In summary, the time it takes for a deceased human body to reach room temperature can be estimated using Newton's law of cooling and by approximating the body as a cylinder, with the time constant being dependent on the body's thermal resistance and heat capacity.
PsiPhi

Homework Statement

The time it takes for a deceased human body to reach room temperature.
Room temperature = 25 degrees C
Initial temperature of corpse = 37 degrees C

Homework Equations

I used Newton's law of cooling: [tex]\frac{dT}{dt} = -k(T - T_{room})[/tex]
where T is a function of t(time in seconds), T(room) is the room temperature and k is the experimental constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the solution to the D.E was simple, it is [tex] T(t) = 12e^{-kt} + 25[/tex]
Ok, now I don't know enough information to determine k(the experimental constant). I generated various values of T(t) until it reach 25degreesC. For k = 1, it took 100secs to get to 25.(this seemed unreasonable). For k = 0.001, it took approximately 6 hrs(this seemed reasonable). Now for my problem is there way I can determine k, without resorting to plugging in random values of k. I was thinking of using the heat capacity of water to approximate the human, but then how is that related to k?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want reliable data, you must kill a number of persons and measure the time, and deduce k from that.

If you want an estimate, I could suggest to look at a similar problem. It's Problem 3 - Hard Boiled Egg, from IPhO 2006 (www.ipho2006.org). In the web-site there's the problem as well as a solution.

In the limit of a healthy airflow outside the corpse, the time constant, T = 1/k, can be approximated by T ~ RC (possibly with some factors of l/A and density - check dimensions), where R is the thermal resistance (1/conductance) of the body and C is its heat capacity.

What is Newton's law of cooling for corpses?

Newton's law of cooling for corpses is a scientific principle that describes the rate at which a deceased body cools down over time. It states that the rate of change in temperature of a body is proportional to the difference between its initial temperature and the ambient temperature.

How does Newton's law of cooling apply to a corpse?

In the context of a corpse, Newton's law of cooling explains how the body's temperature gradually decreases as it comes into contact with the cooler environment. The rate of cooling depends on factors such as the external temperature, the body's initial temperature, and the body's size and composition.

What factors affect the rate of cooling for a corpse?

The rate of cooling for a corpse can be influenced by several factors, including the ambient temperature, the body's initial temperature, the body's size and composition, and the presence or absence of clothing or insulation. Other factors such as humidity, air flow, and the position of the body can also impact the rate of cooling.

Is Newton's law of cooling for corpses accurate?

Yes, Newton's law of cooling has been tested and proven to accurately describe the rate of cooling for corpses. However, the actual rate of cooling may vary depending on the specific conditions and circumstances of the body.

How is Newton's law of cooling for corpses used in forensic science?

Forensic scientists use Newton's law of cooling to estimate the time of death in cases where the body has not been discovered immediately. By measuring the body's temperature and taking into account factors such as the ambient temperature and the rate of cooling, they can estimate how long the person has been deceased.