1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's law of cooling for corpse

1. Jul 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The time it takes for a deceased human body to reach room temperature.
    Room temperature = 25 degrees C
    Initial temperature of corpse = 37 degrees C

2. Relevant equations
    I used Newton's law of cooling: [tex]\frac{dT}{dt} = -k(T - T_{room})[/tex]
    where T is a function of t(time in seconds), T(room) is the room temperature and k is the experimental constant.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Well the solution to the D.E was simple, it is [tex] T(t) = 12e^{-kt} + 25[/tex]
    Ok, now I don't know enough information to determine k(the experimental constant). I generated various values of T(t) until it reach 25degreesC. For k = 1, it took 100secs to get to 25.(this seemed unreasonable). For k = 0.001, it took approximately 6 hrs(this seemed reasonable). Now for my problem is there way I can determine k, without resorting to plugging in random values of k. I was thinking of using the heat capacity of water to approximate the human, but then how is that related to k?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2007 #2
    If you want reliable data, you must kill a number of persons and measure the time, and deduce k from that.

If you want an estimate, I could suggest to look at a similar problem. It's Problem 3 - Hard Boiled Egg, from IPhO 2006 (www.ipho2006.org). In the web-site there's the problem as well as a solution.
  4. Jul 28, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the limit of a healthy airflow outside the corpse, the time constant, T = 1/k, can be approximated by T ~ RC (possibly with some factors of l/A and density - check dimensions), where R is the thermal resistance (1/conductance) of the body and C is its heat capacity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?